Schematic review for odd behaviour
Ethernet Chips
No replies yet. Be the first to reply.
Join the discussion.
Ethernet Chips
No replies yet. Be the first to reply.
Join the discussion.
Share projects and connect with makers.
Joined before the site update? first.
New to WIZnet Makers?
We sent a verification link to your address. Open it to activate your account, then log in.
Accounts from this email provider are reviewed by an administrator after verification. Approval usually takes one business day.
Already have an account?
Enter your email address. If it belongs to an account, we'll send a link to set a new password. Members who joined before the site update use this to set their password.
If an account uses that address, we sent a link to set a new password. The link works once and expires in 30 minutes.
Know your password?
Need an account?
RE: Schematic review for odd behaviour
by Philm001 ·
Also, I forgot to include the power sub-system for the device
RE: RE: Schematic review for odd behaviour
by Eugeny ·
Either power problem, or clock problem. You power circuit must be able to provide appropriate power level, however it depends on the 5V source - therefore checking with scope is anyway very advisable.
Why did you choose 10 pF capacitors for pierce oscillator? There’s specific methodology on calculating the resistor values, as well as having serial resistor Rd which is missing here (and in all the WIZnet datasheets).
RE: Schematic review for odd behaviour
by Philm001 ·
Hello Eugeny,
thank you for your feedback. I have had this happen to me when connected to a bench power supply outputting 5V as needed.
As for the 10pF capacitors, this was pulled from the schematic of the Arduino Ethernet Shield V2. I am using the same crystal oscillator as they are doing and their schematic can be found here:
However, you do bring up a good point because the datasheet has an example circuit that uses 18pF. So that is something that I can test on to see if it makes a difference.
Can you explain more about the serial resistor Rd? If we are referring to Figure 3 in the datasheet, I do have R16 as 1M. Are you referring to R17? If so, I took that as a 0 ohm resistor and for my own application, I just connected it directly with the wire.
RE: Schematic review for odd behaviour
by Eugeny ·
Unless stated otherwise, if there’re not explanations, you should assume there’s no guarantee that something will work in your circumstances. Many people just do copy-paste of the circuit diagrams without getting into the details, and the associated risks show when they must not materialize. I do not say this one is wrong, I say if there’s no explanation you must check yourself (or ask an expert).
First. there’s a guide from WIZnet. Second, search through the internet for material on Pierce Oscillator, for example this one.
WIZnet chip may become unresponsive through SPI only in two cases IMHO: it is in reset condition, or its clock is having problems. I have tested (with W5100) that if clock stops and then continues, chip continues its operation. If your chip stops and continues to work with previous settings without configuration, then I would consider clocking problems. Unless there’re problems with SPI in general (bad contact, incorrect SPI controller programming etc). Would be good if you assess the quality of parts you have used (through checking sources).
RE: Schematic review for odd behaviour
by Philm001 ·
Ok, so using the app note provided above, I checked and verified that the crystal selection is good.
The only other questionable part are the load capacitors (CL1, CL2). I used 10 pF, the datasheet says 18pF. So I am currently running a test with 18pF caps.
After replacing the caps, the device was able to connect to the network. I am not considering this solved because in the past, the device would connect and run for 2 hours. But after a series of power disconnect events, eventually, the device would fail to connect and comm with the ethernet controller was not possible.
I am going to let it sit and see if it eventually loses connection, and later repeat some other test.
RE: RE: Schematic review for odd behaviour
by Eugeny ·
Ensure crystal is grounded and sits as close to respective pins as possible. You circuit diagram shows only 3 pins of the crystal and having two pins number 1.
RE: Schematic review for odd behaviour
by Philm001 ·
Hello Eugeny,
Thank you for your feedback. For the crystal, there are 2 pads that are to be grounded. In the footprint, I set this up so that the 2 pads are connected to 1 pin.
The device was working pretty good yesterday with the corrected capacitor values. It was able to work as it should in 3 different locations. I let it sit overnight (turned off) and this morning, I am unable to get the device to function again. No matter what I do, it (ethernet controller) is not able to communicate with the ESP32 nor is it able to communicate with the internet.
Using a scope, I verified that the clock is NOT working correctly. There is no clock signal coming from the crystal.
Here is a pic of my layout in case my layout has issue.
RE: RE: Schematic review for odd behaviour
by Eugeny ·
You can see layout here. Yours definitely can be improved (via is a big detriment), but I do not think current one should impact operation to such an extent. Are all components involved of correct value? Some people were soldering 49.9k resistors instead of 49.9 Ohm.
Is board 2-layers only?
RE: Schematic review for odd behaviour
by Philm001 ·
I do have the 49.9 ohm resistor where it should be. The board itself is a 4 layer board (in the screenshot, I only show 2 layers that are relevant to that area. I can get a 4 layer screenshot of the entire ethernet circuitry in a little bit
RE: Schematic review for odd behaviour
by Philm001 ·
Should I try different feedback resistor values? From the link that you provided, it looks like there is a range of values that work from 500k up to 5M
RE: RE: Schematic review for odd behaviour
by Eugeny ·
No, leave this resistor as 1M. Did you perform calculations for the capacitors/Rd given the documentation and crystal datasheet?
RE: Schematic review for odd behaviour
by Dheison ·
Eu uso modulos no meu projeto, ja fiz varias placas e sempre tudo ok, mas em alguns lotes de modulos tenho o mesmo problema, as vezes o esp32 nao reconhece, e desligo e ligo ele varias vezes para reconhecer. Mas sempre substituo o modulo e volta a funcionar.
RE: RE: Schematic review for odd behaviour
by Eugeny ·
Power level during power on, reset sequence and timing. And could be in initialization algorithm. You must give more information.
RE: Schematic review for odd behaviour
by Dheison ·
São somente alguns módulos w5500 lite. 99% funcionam, alguns não… Esses que não funcionam, ligo e desligo ele várias vezes até voltar a funcionar.