About the W5500 Ethernet chip, sending and receiving data bits
Ethernet Chips
No replies yet. Be the first to reply.
Join the discussion.
Ethernet Chips
No replies yet. Be the first to reply.
Join the discussion.
Share projects and connect with makers.
Joined before the site update? first.
New to WIZnet Makers?
We sent a verification link to your address. Open it to activate your account, then log in.
Accounts from this email provider are reviewed by an administrator after verification. Approval usually takes one business day.
Already have an account?
Enter your email address. If it belongs to an account, we'll send a link to set a new password. Members who joined before the site update use this to set their password.
If an account uses that address, we sent a link to set a new password. The link works once and expires in 30 minutes.
Know your password?
Need an account?
RE: About the W5500 Ethernet chip, sending and receiving data bits
by Eugeny ·
Network data is byte stream (not “char” stream in this terminology), and the library operates 8-bit byte values. I suspect you ask to save memory for this platform, if you declare
char buf[1024]it will actually allocate 16x1024 bits of memory, while store only 8*1024 bits. In my opinion the best portable solution could be declaring your target array asuint8_t buf[1024]. But you need to test anyway to ensure routines copy data to/from your array properly.RE: RE: About the W5500 Ethernet chip, sending and receiving data bits
by Bohu-Tang ·
Hi Eugeny
Thank you very much for your answer.This is because the W5500 communicates with the MCU through SPI. I’m looking at the data book and the examples on github. The Offset Address here is to send 8bits data twice via SPI. The later Control Phase and Data Phase are also 8-bit.I was wondering if SPI could be configured to send 16 bits of data at a time. Then Control Phase data I only select the higher eight digits to send. The following Data Phase data. I send 16bit data at a time.
RE: About the W5500 Ethernet chip, sending and receiving data bits
by Eugeny ·
What problem are you trying to solve or what are you trying to improve? SPI transmits one bit a time, not one byte or one character a time, and it does not matter if you feed the intermediate circuit with 8-bit data or 16-bit data - at the end they all are converted to bits.
RE: About the W5500 Ethernet chip, sending and receiving data bits
by Bohu-Tang ·
I think I’ve got an idea. I’ll give it a try. Thank you very much for your patient answer.