w5500 not working on SPI1?
Ethernet Chips
No replies yet. Be the first to reply.
Join the discussion.
Ethernet Chips
No replies yet. Be the first to reply.
Join the discussion.
Share projects and connect with makers.
Joined before the site update? first.
New to WIZnet Makers?
We sent a verification link to your address. Open it to activate your account, then log in.
Accounts from this email provider are reviewed by an administrator after verification. Approval usually takes one business day.
Already have an account?
Enter your email address. If it belongs to an account, we'll send a link to set a new password. Members who joined before the site update use this to set their password.
If an account uses that address, we sent a link to set a new password. The link works once and expires in 30 minutes.
Know your password?
Need an account?
RE: w5500 not working on SPI1?
by Eugeny ·
Why SPI “1”? When W5500 accepts the byte, it puts 0x01, 0x02, and 0x03 onto the MISO. You have 0x00, 0xfa, 0xfa therefore something is broken in your SPI communication. As long as you have such scope/logic analyzer, show at least one full access cycle with all four signals. Homework for you to deconstruct what you see in there and prove MOSI is correct (or find the issue and fix it).
RE: RE: w5500 not working on SPI1?
by emcdee ·
Ah many thanks for the starter pointer.
Yea SPI1 is alternate SPI bus on Electron, as such you have to swap out SPI1.begin, etc. funcs.
Ok, and I’ve updated what I believe is a full access cycle, above (after logging all 4 channels on analyzer - clock, SS, MOSI, MISO; means bit less precision but analyzer still picks it up).
RE: w5500 not working on SPI1?
by Eugeny ·
Where? I expect 4 separate time-aligned signal logging.
RE: w5500 not working on SPI1?
by emcdee ·
Apologies, you mean the enable and clock signals aren’t shown in data table, beyond miso and mosi?
Else lemme try to show trace output in a better video preview -

RE: w5500 not working on SPI1?
by emcdee ·
And here’s the SPI1 setup funcs -

RE: w5500 not working on SPI1?
by Eugeny ·
I do not need video preview. I need one read/write cycle in picture which timing and waveform I can analyze.
RE: w5500 not working on SPI1?
by emcdee ·
Ah ok let’s try,
Overview (channel IDs) -
First two frames -
Close up of 1st frame -
Close up of 2nd frame -
I’m not sure why the 1st frame is ‘blank’ from MOSI (despite getting a MISO), tho SPI in Mode-0 if that helps… and SPI1 is dedicated to to just this w5500.
Thanks for your patience / support
RE: w5500 not working on SPI1?
by Eugeny ·
MISO can’t be low level when chip is deselected. What W5500 module do you use, and what is connection circuit of everything into SPI bus?
RE: w5500 not working on SPI1?
by emcdee ·
Appreciate that insight,
Using the w5500 >> 48-LQFP (7x7)
Pull-up / down here just means in hardware setup, but those overrode by pinMode as output high.
Else in code the CS pin in code per w5500 lib -

[w5500.cpp]
And -

[w5500.h]
RE: w5500 not working on SPI1?
by Eugeny ·
I am almost convinced this is your problem. Value being read for MR - 0x05 - may be correct one if reserved bits read as 1. So you have problem with MISO in the first, second, and third sections (bytes) of the transaction.
RE: w5500 not working on SPI1?
by emcdee ·
Oh, now I can set those (int, reset) to stay at a value (override pull-up/down resistors), and I had them as OUTPUT High to avoid interfering w/ bus -
