[WIZ750SR] Multicast problem
Serial-to-Ethernet & ConfigTool
No replies yet. Be the first to reply.
Join the discussion.
Serial-to-Ethernet & ConfigTool
No replies yet. Be the first to reply.
Join the discussion.
Share projects and connect with makers.
Joined before the site update? first.
New to WIZnet Makers?
We sent a verification link to your address. Open it to activate your account, then log in.
Accounts from this email provider are reviewed by an administrator after verification. Approval usually takes one business day.
Already have an account?
Enter your email address. If it belongs to an account, we'll send a link to set a new password. Members who joined before the site update use this to set their password.
If an account uses that address, we sent a link to set a new password. The link works once and expires in 30 minutes.
Know your password?
Need an account?
RE: [WIZ750SR] Multicast problem
by becky ·
The WIZ750SR firmware does not support multicast.
For multicast communication, you must set Multicast IP and port in Destination IP and port and set Sn_MR [7] = 1 before opening socket.
So I prepared a bin file for you.
I added multicast configuration to v1.2.4 firmware as shown below.
W7500x_S2E_App_1.2.4_multicast.bin (41.1 KB)
This can be modified from the link below.
RE: [WIZ750SR] Multicast problem
by looki ·
Thanks for the fast response!
I made a quick test and it looks like it works.
On the firmware I guess I should check if the destination IP is a multicast IP and only then apply the changes you made (so that a unicast IP still works).
RE: RE: [WIZ750SR] Multicast problem
by becky ·
I updated the firmware version to v1.2.5.
You can download bin file on github.
It check if the destination IP is a multicast IP as you say.
Thank you for your opinion
RE: [WIZ750SR] Multicast problem
by looki ·
Hi Becky,
I finally had some time to test the new multicast feature, but had some problems if working with two or more devices (wiznet module + serial device). The problem is that each device receives the outgoing traffic of all other devices, i.e. not only the remote host (linux machine) which joins the multicast group receives the udp packets, but all other devices too.
What I’m trying to achieve:
Each device sends Uart-Udp data to multicast IP address.
Each device listens for Uart-Udp data using local IP address and NOT joining multicast group.
Example configuration:
Device A:
Device B:
Remote host:
I hope you can help me with this matter.
Best,
Lukas
RE: RE: [WIZ750SR] Multicast problem
by becky ·
Is device A and deviceB WIZ750SR and Server is Linux?
In multicast socket, WIZ750SR can receive unicast data, but can not send to unicast address.
WIZ750SR in default setting receive unicast data in multicast mode.
So it is not WIZ750SR, the actions you said are possible without modification.
RE: [WIZ750SR] Multicast problem
by looki ·
Yes.
In multicast socket, I want that WIZ750SR sends data to multicast IP and ONLY receives data on local unicast IP. I do not want that WIZ750SR receives multicast data.
The problem is, that WIZ750SR joins the multicast group and therefore receives multicast data sent from other WIZ750SR modules.
I used Wireshark to analyse the network traffic and saw that each WIZ750SR joins the multicast group and sends IGMPv2 Membership Report messages.
Is it possible to use multicast socket without joining the multicast group?
RE: [WIZ750SR] Multicast problem
by becky ·
Unfortunately there is no function to block multicast packets in multicast mode.
If not, it seems that you have to open and close a socket every time you send data to a multicast group.
EX)
Seems to have to repeat.
In this case, an IGMP leave packet is sent whenever the socket is closed.
is it OK?
RE: [WIZ750SR] Multicast problem
by looki ·
I’m afraid that is not possible for my use case.
Anyway, thanks for your help and fast replies.
RE: [WIZ750SR] Multicast problem
by becky ·
It is possible, but Multicast join packet is not transmitted.
I tested it like this:
192.168.0.5 is W7500, open socket with Unicast, and send data to multicast address when receiving data.
1.Transfer data to 192.168.0.5 via Hercules
2. The W7500 receives the data and sends it to 234.5.6.7 (multicast).
3. Check the data sent by the W7500 with the Multicast Test Tool Receiver.
The Multicast Test Tool I used received the data the W7500 sent without a join packet. I think you should check this on your Server.
RE: [WIZ750SR] Multicast problem
by looki ·
I think this is exactly what I am looking for!
I tested this with WIZ750SR firmware version 1.2.4 but could not get any output, i.e. WIZ750SR did not send any multicast packet (I checked with Wireshark and had an UDP multicast socket join the multicast group).
Could you tell me your exact configuration (port, subnet, …)? And did you use a different firmware version?
Thanks again
RE: [WIZ750SR] Multicast problem
by becky ·
I use DHCP funcion but you should add code to send data to multicast mac address.
So i used mac send command because sendto() in ioLibrary use send command.
I attach the modified bin file and modified project .
W7500x_S2E_App.bin (99.9 KB)
WIZ750SR-forlooki.zip (2.6 MB)
I commented “for looki” on the edit. This is in the seg.c.
please check it.
RE: [WIZ750SR] Multicast problem
by looki ·
Hi Becky,
I tested the modified firmware and it worked
One (hopefully) last request: Would it be possible to add an if/else statement to check if the remote IP is unicast or multicast and only apply this modifications if remote IP is multicast?
Again, thanks a lot for your help and fast responses!
RE: RE: [WIZ750SR] Multicast problem
by becky ·
Here are that.
It’s good that it helped.
W7500x_S2E_App.bin (99.9 KB)