W5500 died after few minutes
Ethernet Chips
No replies yet. Be the first to reply.
Join the discussion.
Ethernet Chips
No replies yet. Be the first to reply.
Join the discussion.
Share projects and connect with makers.
Joined before the site update? first.
New to WIZnet Makers?
We sent a verification link to your address. Open it to activate your account, then log in.
Accounts from this email provider are reviewed by an administrator after verification. Approval usually takes one business day.
Already have an account?
Enter your email address. If it belongs to an account, we'll send a link to set a new password. Members who joined before the site update use this to set their password.
If an account uses that address, we sent a link to set a new password. The link works once and expires in 30 minutes.
Know your password?
Need an account?
RE: W5500 died after few minutes
by alexpescaru ·
I don’t think it’s because of the resistor.
By mistake, we put 110K instead. The chip refused to work, even if the oscillation at crystal pins was OK.
As soon as the correct resistor was put, the chip came to life.
Can you change the chip to see if it’s dead or not?
RE: W5500 died after few minutes
by asdf557f ·
So today I performed one more test at different board. That time with recommended resistor 12.4k.
I decided not mount the RJ-45 connector for a while.
After first power on, all voltages were ok. I ran the firmware, was able to read chip ID, initialize and come to link checking loop.
Then after few minutes I measured 1V2O again and it became +3.1V instead of 1.2V initially, which is far from normal operation in my opinion.
Ok, I proceed further. Mount the RJ-45, and then even got correct link status via firmware.
BUT, after 10-15 minutes of normal operation, first the link came down and then SPI died silently.
That’s the story.
I had double checked circuit and PCB, and still wonder what the reason is.
The question. The 1V2O pin is the output of some sort of LDO. Thus if I connect only pins +3V3, +3V3A and GND, then I should get 1.2V at 1V2O pin? or some additinal components needed for that? I just want check minimal possible circuit.
RE: W5500 died after few minutes
by kevinlee ·
Hi!
The LDO needs external capacitor to supply stable power.
So there should be 10nF capacitor between the 1V2O and GND.
And there should be 4.7uF capacitor between the TOCAP and GND.
You can refer to the W5500 Reference schematic. (I attached some related part.)
Here is the link for schematic.
wizwiki.net/wiki/doku.php?id=pro … fschematic
Thank you!

RE: W5500 died after few minutes
by asdf557f ·
kzl108, alexpescaru, midnightcow
Thank you all for the help! So lucky to find such friendly community.
I gonna buy more chips at next week and W550io as working reference device.
Then I’ll let you know about my solution. Hopefully