Set Network Name for WIZ750SR
Ethernet Chips
No replies yet. Be the first to reply.
Join the discussion.
Ethernet Chips
No replies yet. Be the first to reply.
Join the discussion.
Share projects and connect with makers.
Joined before the site update? first.
New to WIZnet Makers?
We sent a verification link to your address. Open it to activate your account, then log in.
Accounts from this email provider are reviewed by an administrator after verification. Approval usually takes one business day.
Already have an account?
Enter your email address. If it belongs to an account, we'll send a link to set a new password. Members who joined before the site update use this to set their password.
If an account uses that address, we sent a link to set a new password. The link works once and expires in 30 minutes.
Know your password?
Need an account?
RE: Set Network Name for WIZ750SR
by WIZnet AI AI generated ·
RE: Set Network Name for WIZ750SR
by Kevin_DT ·
Thanks for replying. Our application will be consumer based and we can't expect them to be editing the hosts files or DNS entries.
Do any WIZnet ethernet products support network naming as described. I have used other (older) products from different vendors that could do it, but I am looking for a new product to align with.
RE: Set Network Name for WIZ750SR
by viktor WIZnet ·
Hello,
There are two ways to modify the device name of WIZ750SR.
The first method is through Web Server Configuration if you are using the latest firmware version (1.4.0) of WIZ750SR.
You can modify the device name in this section. Please refer to the link below for more details.
https://docs.wiznet.io/Product/S2E-Module/WIZ750SR/WIZ750SR_Web_Config_Guide_EN
The second method is to change the firmware from the link below and upload it.
You can make the changes in Projects\S2E_APP\src\W7500x_board.h file of the project.
However, if you have never modified the firmware of WIZ750SR before, this can be a very complex task because it requires a paid development environment like KEIL5.
If you're okay with that, you can proceed by referring to the firmware details below.
https://github.com/Wiznet/WIZ750SR
Hope it helps.
RE: RE: Set Network Name for WIZ750SR
by Kevin_DT ·
Thanks, Viktor,
I have updated the firmware to 1.4.0_Stable and was able to change the device name to MC55051 however there is still something not right. When I check my DHCP server the name is still showing as WIZnet not MC55051 and it won't ping as MC55051. When I use the config tool it now shows 2 devices the first has the correct MAC address and shows the name as MC55051 the second device shows the MC55051 as the MAC address and has no name. I cannot connect to either and if I try to connect to the second one the app crashes. I can only connect via the web page. I also noted when I first updated the firmware the status was ATMODE and I couldn't change it and I think I need OPEN? but I can't seem to change that from the web page.
Any further assistance will be greatly appreciated. Is there an advanced version of the webpage? I will try a factory reset and see what that does.
Retrying the same steps after the factory reset from the webpage and changing the name again had the same result.
I have now reloaded the firmware, 1.4.0_Stable and it has started with a status of OPEN but I can't communicate to my device like I could previously. I have checked my settings are correct for the device as 9600,8,0,1,None. Local port 12000, which are all correct.
**** Update
After multiple factory resets, I can now communicate with my device again (DHCP) but still cannot ping the device name I changed via the web interface, and it still does not appear on my DHCP list.
RE: Set Network Name for WIZ750SR
by TheoIm WIZnet ·
Hello, I'm Theo from WIZnet.
If you want to change the device name on the WIZ750SR and use it properly, you need to consider the Configuration Tool and the device firmware separately.
Even if you successfully added "MC55051" to the firmware, the Configuration Tool receives the string value "WIZ750SR" and assigns it to the tool's internal index based on the device. Since the tool doesn’t have any information about "MC55051" in its internal code, it cannot retrieve the device information, resulting in an error.
The tool updates its values using commands sent from the S2E module, while the web page directly retrieves the information from the S2E through web server Ethernet packets. This allows the web page to display the value properly. This is
the reason why the name shows correctly on the web page.
Therefore, if you want to use a device name like "MC55051", code modifications are required in two main areas (the Configuration Tool and the WIZ750SR firmware). While the code modifications themselves are quite simple, the build environment (using Keil and Python) may be challenging.
You need to review the code in the W7500x_board.h file of the WIZ750SR firmware to add the device. Additionally, download the Configuration Tool code from the WIZnet GitHub channel to find where the board name is added and where the selection process occurs (likely in the main.py code). Code modifications in both areas are necessary.
RE: RE: Set Network Name for WIZ750SR
by Kevin_DT ·
Thanks Theo,
I am happy if the config is only accessible via the web page and not the config tool after renaming. The main goal I have is to be able to ping the device using the name (MC55051 in this case) but this does not work. The device name in my DHCP server remains as WIZnet. It is as if the name being edited is not actually the devices network name (Hostname). Do you know if that is the case? If I can get this part working, we are ready to go into production.
Regards,
Kevin.