W7500P Cold booting failure. POR operation error
Ethernet Chips
No replies yet. Be the first to reply.
Join the discussion.
Ethernet Chips
No replies yet. Be the first to reply.
Join the discussion.
Share projects and connect with makers.
Joined before the site update? first.
New to WIZnet Makers?
We sent a verification link to your address. Open it to activate your account, then log in.
Accounts from this email provider are reviewed by an administrator after verification. Approval usually takes one business day.
Already have an account?
Enter your email address. If it belongs to an account, we'll send a link to set a new password. Members who joined before the site update use this to set their password.
If an account uses that address, we sent a link to set a new password. The link works once and expires in 30 minutes.
Know your password?
Need an account?
RE: W7500P Cold booting failure. POR operation error
by Eugeny ·
First, not clear why you think your problem is caused by the POR and Errata 5 description is the one causing the issue.
Second, the errata is relatively clear on what causes the problem. Application of the power to the peripheral chip before power supply pins, and slow rise of the power supply voltage (> 20 ms). All these conditions can be inspected using scope, but you did not attach any pics as proofs.
What reset supervisor is doing is holding chip in hard reset until power raises to 2.93 V (typ) and performs it reliably without noise and false-starts with minimum reset pulse width of 120 ms after power reaches 2.93 V.
If you prove you do this way with your current circuit, the only way is to remove conditions described in errata 5 - remove connection to peripheral pins and ensure power raises within 20 ms - and see if problem persists. If it does, errata 5 does not apply for your case and there’s an issue somewhere else.
RE: W7500P Cold booting failure. POR operation error
by Maxim ·
I have the following data, I apply reset supervisor see how it working.
I see at least 150 milliseconds of delay is holding chip in hard reset
If I supply power from a source that provides a smooth increase in voltage
The rise time is about 10ms Cold Start does not happen
The blue line is one control pin of the processor, which should have a meander with a period of about 20ms.
The other power supply has a very steep form of voltage increase.
The voltage rise time is about 0.1 ms
In this case, I see a cold start, I see a meander on the blue chart.
RE: W7500P Cold booting failure. POR operation error
by Maxim ·
Why do I think this problem is related is caused by the POR? I looked at the CRG diagram
According to this, the processor start should occur if the RSTn pin has a high logical level and the POR has a high logical level. But after 150ms the reset circuit releases the RSTn pin, the start does not occur.
If I manually close the RSTn pin again using the button, the launch does not occur.
I observe this behavior in about 5% of all devices that we make. In the remaining 95% of cases, such a problem is not observed.
According to the reasons that lead to this behavior, I conclude that this problem is similar to Errata 5 description
RE: W7500P Cold booting failure. POR operation error
by Eugeny ·
IMHO this is an indication of wider issue. If chip does not start on power on, hardware reset must clear this situation. If it does not, then the condition is called lockup.
Errata 5 states power rise < 20 ms and potential > 1V on the I/O pins. For this case, can you disconnect all peripheral pins and see it is starts?
That’s why I think issue is similar, but different. Bringing reset pin low must reset the chip even if internal POR did not reset it, in your case it does not happen.
Can you confirm that same board of these 5% may start or not start, and the behavior is steady for specific condition? Is there no physical difference between remaining 95% which always start - internally on the board and externally to the board?
RE: W7500P Cold booting failure. POR operation error
by Maxim ·
Thank you for your answers.
Yes, I checked, I physically disconnected all peripheral circuits and checked, it doesn’t help.
Yes, I confirm that the same board of these 5% starts if the voltage increases quickly and does not start if the voltage increases slowly. The behavior is stable and repeatable under the same conditions.
All boards (much more than 1000 pieces) are assembled automatically using Samsung Hanhwa SM482, soldering is carried out in a conveyor 5 zone furnace of convection reflow. There is no physical difference.
RE: W7500P Cold booting failure. POR operation error
by Maxim ·
Dear Eugeny, can you explain it to me in more detail?
What is a condition called lockup ?
As far as I understand, you do not belong to the Wiznet engineering team.
You use these processors as well as I do, but you, unlike me, have a lot of experience in this.
I’m wondering how long can I expect a response from the WizNet engineering team?
RE: RE: W7500P Cold booting failure. POR operation error
by Eugeny ·
Yes, I am not an employee of the WIZnet, and I used to use W5100.
Lock up is the condition when device is stuck in some condition and can’t recover itself or be recovered from it, only power cycle helps. As I know this condition is usually exhibited by the excessive current being consumed by the device, and thus excessive device heating.
I recommend you emailing WIZnet support for (1) quicker problem resolution and (2) errata 5 is slightly unclear and inconsistent in its text, we need clarification for it.
RE: W7500P Cold booting failure. POR operation error
by Maxim ·
Do you mean I have to write an e-mail to WizNet support?
I thought this forum was the way to contact WizNet tech support.
Now I’ll look for an email address to contact technical support. If it’s not too much trouble, can you tell me the correct address?
RE: RE: W7500P Cold booting failure. POR operation error
by Eugeny ·
Locations. Point them to this thread.
RE: W7500P Cold booting failure. POR operation error
by Maxim ·
Thank you, I wrote. I will be waiting for a response from support
In Reference Manual (Version 1.1.2 ) I found this:
6 System configuration controller (SYSCFG)
Main purposes of the system configuration controller are the following
Control of the memory remap feature
The ability to enable an automatic reset if the system locks up
Information about the cause of the last reset
I am particularly interested in the second function - The ability to enable an automatic reset if the system locks up.
But, that’s it. No more information. Ahh
RE: W7500P Cold booting failure. POR operation error
by Maxim ·
Tech support has not responded.
I am still continuing to study this problem on my own. Now that I have started to understand the reasons that cause this problem, I have found a much higher failure rate. Now the number of boards on which processors behave unpredictably increases to 20%
I found an old one W7500P Reference Manual (Version 1.0.3). In an old document I found a detailed description of the registers RESETOP and RSTINFO.
[2:0] RSTINFO – Information register about the cause of the last reset.
These bits are written by S/W; write 1 to each bit to clear
[0] : if 1, SYSRESETREQ caused the reset.
[1] : if 1, Watchdog caused the reset.
[2] : if 1, processor LOCKUP caused the reset.
I output these values to UART debugging. Now when the processor starts, I can see the value of RSTINFO. Every time, even after a failed start, I get the value:
[0] : if 1, SYSRESETREQ caused the reset.
That is, according to RST INFO, it is not processor LOCKUP caused the reset