Ideas to fault find W5500 / ATmega 32U4 (Arduino Leonardo)
Ethernet Chips
No replies yet. Be the first to reply.
Join the discussion.
Ethernet Chips
No replies yet. Be the first to reply.
Join the discussion.
Share projects and connect with makers.
Joined before the site update? first.
New to WIZnet Makers?
We sent a verification link to your address. Open it to activate your account, then log in.
Accounts from this email provider are reviewed by an administrator after verification. Approval usually takes one business day.
Already have an account?
Enter your email address. If it belongs to an account, we'll send a link to set a new password. Members who joined before the site update use this to set their password.
If an account uses that address, we sent a link to set a new password. The link works once and expires in 30 minutes.
Know your password?
Need an account?
RE: Ideas to fault find W5500 / ATmega 32U4 (Arduino Leonardo)
by Eugeny ·
I do not immediately see anything wrong with the circuit diagram.Some pins are missing in the package, in particular AGND and AVDD?
Otherwise you must check the following:
It is also a good practice to reset W5500 using its RESET pin before you use the chip (see the datasheet for timing).
RE: RE: Ideas to fault find W5500 / ATmega 32U4 (Arduino Leonardo)
by Sand man ·
Hi
Thank you for your pointers.
When I originally designed the PCB, I checked the ‘missing’ pins, they are a ‘feature’ of the KiCAD library symbol that I used, and did appear to be connected appropriately. I’ll double check.
I’ll check the other points and report back
Thanks
RE: RE: Ideas to fault find W5500 / ATmega 32U4 (Arduino Leonardo)
by Sand man ·
Tried a small 8 port switch. Tried direct connect to PC. No signs of life.
Checked components. Resistors appear correct.
There appears to be a stable clock (test equipment is a 20MHz analogue Hameg 'scope),
Using the Ethernet3 library, PHYCFGR reports 186 (0b10111010)
Any thoughts?
Arduino sketch to read PHYCFGR:
RE: Ideas to fault find W5500 / ATmega 32U4 (Arduino Leonardo)
by Sand man ·
KiCAD PCB layout:
RE: Ideas to fault find W5500 / ATmega 32U4 (Arduino Leonardo)
by Eugeny ·
There should be no magic. Something is wrong with the circuit, or another circuit supplying power to it. What’s about power supply? Use scope to measure the voltage/current after power on. did you check all the components (not only resistors)? How can you use 20 MHz scope to measure 25 MHz clock? Do you perform chip RESET after powering it on?
RE: Ideas to fault find W5500 / ATmega 32U4 (Arduino Leonardo)
by Sand man ·
Probing around. The TX side appears to be generating a waveform which seems to be creating eye patterns on the cat5 cable.
The W5500 is reset along with the ATmega.
The Hameg 'scope sees the 25MHz clock, it triggers, etc, just fine. However, the signal is beyond its calibrated range.
I’m struggling to read the capacitors whilst they are in circuit.
However, I think I may have found a miss fitted resistor. I need to replace the parts. It will take a few days to order the replacement parts.
I’ll update the thread when I’ve eliminated this.
Thanks for your help.
RE: Ideas to fault find W5500 / ATmega 32U4 (Arduino Leonardo)
by Sand man ·
Fault found. As you suggested … mis-fitted component.
Seems to be working.
Thanks for your assistant.