IPRAW vs MACRAW
Ethernet Chips
No replies yet. Be the first to reply.
Join the discussion.
Ethernet Chips
No replies yet. Be the first to reply.
Join the discussion.
Share projects and connect with makers.
Joined before the site update? first.
New to WIZnet Makers?
We sent a verification link to your address. Open it to activate your account, then log in.
Accounts from this email provider are reviewed by an administrator after verification. Approval usually takes one business day.
Already have an account?
Enter your email address. If it belongs to an account, we'll send a link to set a new password. Members who joined before the site update use this to set their password.
If an account uses that address, we sent a link to set a new password. The link works once and expires in 30 minutes.
Know your password?
Need an account?
RE: IPRAW vs MACRAW
by aripod ·
That is the issue I am trying to circumvent, when I need more than 8. Now I have it working with all sockets, but I need to have more connections. That is what I wanted to say with the diagram and why I thought about the MACRAW mode.
I cannot disconnect an existing connection from a current peer as I need that connection later again.
Wouldn’t then be an option the MACRAW mode when I need more than 8 sockets?
Why?
RE: IPRAW vs MACRAW
by aripod ·
I tried but:
RE: IPRAW vs MACRAW
by aripod ·
Following the datasheet, from the w5200 side, setting the mode and opening the socket, shouldn’t I have been able to receive an ethernet package? From the sender part, I know the w5200 IP and I chose a port number from 0xc000 to 0xf00. Then I should be able to filter these when I receive the ethernet package only by opening the port…right?
RE: IPRAW vs MACRAW
by aripod ·
Yes, I know…but from the pc I can send over tcp/ip by choosing ip and port which will be in the ethernet package that I will read in the w5200, or not? Or it means that from the PC as well, I cannot use standard tcp/ip socket functions?
RE: IPRAW vs MACRAW
by aripod ·
Yes, that is exactly what I want.
But after I opened the socket on the w5200 I sent the same way I did before to receive with the hardwire tcp/ip stack but this time, I can see the package from the pc to the w5200 (to connect to) but when I check if I receive something, there are no new bytes on the w5200’s RX buffer. So the question is if I need to do something different then on the PC side as I do when I have a socket with the hardwire tcp/ip?
RE: RE: IPRAW vs MACRAW
by irina WIZnet ·
Hi~
This code is very old
and you have to compile using the AVR tool.just see the codesW5200_Macraw.zip (218.4 KB)
RE: IPRAW vs MACRAW
by aripod ·
Yes, it is the same MAC. I use the same function to initialize the w5200 (MAC, subnet, IP and gateway).
RE: IPRAW vs MACRAW
by aripod ·
So there is actually always something on the receiving buffer. I have a router where I connect the w5200 and the PC. The data is either something from the router or from the PC. I can see their MAC addresses.
I believe there is something to do with the protocol before being able to send and receive any information and that is what the hardwire tcp/ip stack takes care of before I can open a new socket. And that is all the data that I am seeing there. Please let me know if that is correct.
If it is, I would need to process all that by myself before I am able to open a new socket on the pc to send/receive information from/to the w5200.
Just in case, I attached a log file with data from the router and data from the pc. macraw.hex (19.0 KB)
Thanks for the help.
RE: IPRAW vs MACRAW
by aripod ·
One thing that is not clear is that I have in the buffer, for example, 2009 bytes but the first 2 ones (byte size of DATA packet) is 0x00 0x3e = 63 bytes. Why is the difference so big between these two?
Then I should now do something like LwIP then with that incoming data or something like @irina_kim uploaded.
RE: IPRAW vs MACRAW
by aripod ·
and what about the size of data I can send? If it is limited to 1500 bytes…how is it possible to send bigger packages than that? Let’s say I have 5000 bytes to send. Then, it will be splitted in 3x1500 and 1x500 but will that represent that on the receiving peer it will be like receiving 4 different packages or it is possible to see it as one big 5000 bytes one?
EDIT: Given that case…it would be possible to subdivide the data to send and establish in the protocol header that the complete message will be sub-divided, right? So it is not up to the w5200 but how the protocol’s header is built
RE: RE: IPRAW vs MACRAW
by irina WIZnet ·
Max MTU size is 1500byte because generally Ethernet use. It means available data in TCP, IP or application layer excluding Ethernet header and trailer.

About the sub-divide, I think the lwip function is already built in.
RE: IPRAW vs MACRAW
by aripod ·
To avoid opening a new thread…Is it possible to subdivide also with the hardwire tcp/ip stack? In the case to send something larger that the 8kb buffer (considering using only one socket)