Debugging the 25MHz crystal oscillator
Ethernet Chips
No replies yet. Be the first to reply.
Join the discussion.
Ethernet Chips
No replies yet. Be the first to reply.
Join the discussion.
Share projects and connect with makers.
Joined before the site update? first.
New to WIZnet Makers?
We sent a verification link to your address. Open it to activate your account, then log in.
Accounts from this email provider are reviewed by an administrator after verification. Approval usually takes one business day.
Already have an account?
Enter your email address. If it belongs to an account, we'll send a link to set a new password. Members who joined before the site update use this to set their password.
If an account uses that address, we sent a link to set a new password. The link works once and expires in 30 minutes.
Know your password?
Need an account?
RE: Debugging the 25MHz crystal oscillator
by seands ·
One other curiosity that might be relevant: on the Arduino boards, they use a similar SMD crystal package to the one I used (but at 16MHz). On the Ethernet shield, however, they use a big SMX package like this. I wonder if they also had trouble with small 25MHz oscillator packages?
RE: RE: Debugging the 25MHz crystal oscillator
by Eugeny ·
The OSC circuit is really very sensitive, e.g. it may stop working if you touch it with wet finger. I did some experiments with W5100, and it seems when oscillation stops, chip is just being “suspended”. In your case when you touch the circuit, it may just suspend itself.
I used HC49S package to Arduino’s device; and I recall someone was having issues with more advanced packages like yours. Thus if you can, try putting HC-49 crystal and see how it works. It may also help if you share your circuit diagram and board image with area of W5500.
RE: Debugging the 25MHz crystal oscillator
by seands ·
Hi Eugeny,
Here’s a picture of the board near the clock and W5500.
The C25 capacitor fell off earlier, but obviously during tests it was present: I guess the crystal is not as close to the W5500 as it could be, and the XI and XO track lengths are different, but I’d be surprised if that’s what’s causing this.
You might remember this thread - that was the previous design. I suspected the RJ45 transformer was to blame so I made a new version with a different (recommended) part - but I got the same issue which is why I now suspect the clock.
The schematic is the same as shown in post 2 in that thread, except the transformer is now a Cetus J1B1211CCD (also recommended by Wiznet) with appropriately updated routing (it has separate central taps for RX and TX).
Cheers!
RE: Debugging the 25MHz crystal oscillator
by Eugeny ·
While board design can be made better, IMHO it is NOT so bad that it does not work the way you describe. I can not check my board right now, but have feeling that your clock measurements must show normal operation.
Said that, I would do the following:
RE: Debugging the 25MHz crystal oscillator
by seands ·
Thanks, I’ll try to find another crystal package that has the required frequency and see if it changes anything.
Do you have any specific feedback on my board layout? If a different packaged crystal fixes the problems I’ve had then I’ll have to make another board, so I can incorporate changes.
RE: Debugging the 25MHz crystal oscillator
by Eugeny ·
Here’s how I did it
Also ensure there’re no tracks at another side of the board (GND plane, crystal is inserted from another side) so that no signals interfere with the circuit.
RE: Debugging the 25MHz crystal oscillator
by seands ·
Thanks, using a bigger package like the one you posted worked to fix the stability issue.