W5200 Connection stability
Ethernet Chips
No replies yet. Be the first to reply.
Join the discussion.
Ethernet Chips
No replies yet. Be the first to reply.
Join the discussion.
Share projects and connect with makers.
Joined before the site update? first.
New to WIZnet Makers?
We sent a verification link to your address. Open it to activate your account, then log in.
Accounts from this email provider are reviewed by an administrator after verification. Approval usually takes one business day.
Already have an account?
Enter your email address. If it belongs to an account, we'll send a link to set a new password. Members who joined before the site update use this to set their password.
If an account uses that address, we sent a link to set a new password. The link works once and expires in 30 minutes.
Know your password?
Need an account?
RE: W5200 Connection stability
by Eugeny ·
I came across with issue and investigation which may help you. I have cases when both LEDs (this is exactly what caught my eye in your post) turn off for 1-2 seconds and then turn on back, interrupting communication of the chip. I figured out that it is not a chip’s problem, it is switching hub (Asus GX1005B) issue doing something wrong with its port at its end.
Thus I recommend you (a) try changing hub’s port, (b) try changing device you connect W5200 to with another one. Problem may be not in the W5200 device, it could be on another end of the wire
RE: W5200 Connection stability
by karelw ·
Hello Eugeny,
thank You for reaction. I do not think, that problem is in the switch. It happens on varios places with varios switches. I gathered more details. I think that problems relate to supply. I did not see it on my own eyes, reportedly time to time connection fall down during some activity on device. For example relay switching. In past we used different FB than wiznet. Now we replaced them with more similar type. I can see a bit lower noise at 3V3D. So I hope it will helps. Do You know, what can accuracy of bias rezistor influence? In The did not write a lot in tha datasheet.
Have a nice time
RE: W5200 Connection stability
by Eugeny ·
Hopefully you are right, but there’s another thing which can be a cause - unstable 25 MHz oscillation circuit. If I touch outputs of crystal with finger, at some point in time LEDs go off and chip stops operation. However - and it is difference with you case - when I remove finger, chip continues working. This is not exactly what you explain as you say only hard reset recovers chip, but worth knowing ensuring that you designed clocking circuit well, grounded body of crystal, and have no devices emitting electromagnetics close to clock generation circuit.
RE: W5200 Connection stability
by karelw ·
Hello,
I tried to stop oscillator wiht my finger. It is surprisingly stable. To stop oscillator must be finger realy wet. I put rf card reader 125kHz and 13.56MHz near to ocsillator as possible and tried stop oscillator again. Stability was not worse.
But I am not sure about something else. Votlage at pin 14 (VCC1V8_OUT) is a bit higger, 1.93-1.97V. Is it correct? Voltage at pin 16(XTAL_VDD) is about 1.8V. I checked schematic diagram thousand times. I did not find anything wrong.
RE: W5200 Connection stability
by Eugeny ·
This is very good observation. Datasheet does not detail operating voltage range for 1.8V input, but using same range as for 3V3 (which is 10%) maximum for 1.8 Voltage is 1.98, and you are very close to it. Look at input 3V3 voltage, is it within spec? Can you share your circuit diagram?
RE: W5200 Connection stability
by karelw ·
Hello Eugeny,
I attached schematic diagram of LAN part. I compared it with various evalution boards thousand times. All values now exactly matching with reality. Wiznet, cpu and a few other ICs are powered from linear regulator TS1117-3.3. Output voltage is quite accurate - 3.27V. And it is powered from 5V switching regulator based on A8499. We use magjack bell magnetics SI50154-F.
RE: W5200 Connection stability
by Eugeny ·
I do not know what is going on. Let’s look into the circuit: I see that values of capacitors connected to XTALVDD differs on your schematic, and you use electrolytic cap instead of ceramic. 0R ferrite bead for 3V3D/3V3A looks strange on reference schematic BTW. I would do it properly separating these power rails with same ferrite bead as used in other power rails, and connected RCT of the transformer (jack) to 3V3A. However I hardly believe these will affect chip operation to the extent you explain.
Please take magnifier and examine quality of soldering. Higher voltage may mean that regulator misses a load - check if both 1V8 pins are properly soldered.
RE: W5200 Connection stability
by karelw ·
Hello Eugeny.
We used tantalum capacitor 10uF at XTALVDD from beginning. Modules WIZ820io used to use ceramic capacitor 10uF + 100nF at this pin. But later they replaced 10uF ceramic with 10uF tantalum. This thread [url]Wiz820io stops responsing to PING after few hour of running] mentions about it. On bottom of page is document Improvement of WIZ820IO.pdf. And replacing ferrite bead with 0R rezistor suggest W5200 Chip Datasheet v1.4.0 on page 12. Yes, magjack is not powered in best possible way. Boards are soldered properly in reflow oven.
But I noticed something weird. It seems Your suspicion about oscillator was right. When I touched pins of quartz with finger it did not metter. But when I touched X1 with iron tweezer, link fell down and both leds went off. I tried it many times. Sometimes was connection recovered itself. Sometimes helped reset of board (hw reset is connected to wiznet too). And sometimes I had to disconnect board from power. It is exactly state described at the beginning.
So I connected oscilloscop probe to X0. When I “connected” tweezer and my body to X1, oscillator starts run at 75MHz. And sometimes it stayed at 75MHz even tweezer was “disconnected”. Unfortunately I could not check it on randomly frozen device. Any Idea?
RE: W5200 Connection stability
by Eugeny ·
Can you please share design of your board so that I can see how your components and conductors were located? If possible from both sides (how many layers?)
RE: W5200 Connection stability
by karelw ·
Hello,
board is only double-sided. It is my very first board with wiznet. Nowadays I would made it better.
Now I see it. Quartzs caps are grounded realy badly.