W5500 ARP - Can I get destination MAC?
Ethernet Chips
No replies yet. Be the first to reply.
Join the discussion.
Ethernet Chips
No replies yet. Be the first to reply.
Join the discussion.
Share projects and connect with makers.
Joined before the site update? first.
New to WIZnet Makers?
We sent a verification link to your address. Open it to activate your account, then log in.
Accounts from this email provider are reviewed by an administrator after verification. Approval usually takes one business day.
Already have an account?
Enter your email address. If it belongs to an account, we'll send a link to set a new password. Members who joined before the site update use this to set their password.
If an account uses that address, we sent a link to set a new password. The link works once and expires in 30 minutes.
Know your password?
Need an account?
RE: W5500 ARP - Can I get destination MAC?
by alexpescaru ·
I believe, the “Socket n Destination Hardware Address” (Sn_DHAR0…5) is what you need to read…
You need to initiate an ARP resolve for the remote system (you can send an dummy UDP packet to it) and then read the Sn_DHAR0,1,2,3,4,5.
Maybe there is another easy way, I am only at the beginning with these chips…
RE: W5500 ARP - Can I get destination MAC?
by billbgarland ·
I’ve tried reading the Sn_DHAR registers after a successful UDP transfer and they are all 0xFF. Interestingly, when I try and set Sn_DHAR to something they always come back as 0xFF.
Anyone from Wiznet like to comment?
RE: W5500 ARP - Can I get destination MAC?
by billbgarland ·
I have half solved my problem
When there is an active TCP connection I can read the destination MAC address from the DHAR registers however when I read them after receiving a UDP packet I get them all set to 0xFF.
RE: W5500 ARP - Can I get destination MAC?
by bongbong ·
W5500 don’t have MAC information register for UDP receive packet
in case of UDP, (Sn_DHAR0…5) just have MAC address of sending packet, and also it is possible to only send to local network. if you send to external network, you just will get the MAC address of gateway.
so, It seems not reasonable, there is no perfect way to get MAC address if you use UDP.