Wiz812MJ Gets Hot when SPI is connected
IO Modules
No replies yet. Be the first to reply.
Join the discussion.
IO Modules
No replies yet. Be the first to reply.
Join the discussion.
Share projects and connect with makers.
Joined before the site update? first.
New to WIZnet Makers?
We sent a verification link to your address. Open it to activate your account, then log in.
Accounts from this email provider are reviewed by an administrator after verification. Approval usually takes one business day.
Already have an account?
Enter your email address. If it belongs to an account, we'll send a link to set a new password. Members who joined before the site update use this to set their password.
If an account uses that address, we sent a link to set a new password. The link works once and expires in 30 minutes.
Know your password?
Need an account?
RE: Wiz812MJ Gets Hot when SPI is connected
by Eugeny ·
Maybe you did a mistake in connecting it? How do you do it?
Where do these modules come from? May it happen that they are defective?
W5x00 chips become warm when PHY is connected. Not hot, but warm.
Do the modules function from any side - MCU or Ethernet?
RE: RE: Wiz812MJ Gets Hot when SPI is connected
by grama ·
Appreciate your response.
That is very possible.
With the RJ45 facing away from me, I expecting J1 on the left, and J2 on the right.
From your answer, I am assuming your Wi812Mj is not getting hot.
RE: Wiz812MJ Gets Hot when SPI is connected
by Eugeny ·
I do not have this module, but I use W5100 heavily. I am sure your module is designed using standard circuit.
RE: Wiz812MJ Gets Hot when SPI is connected
by grama ·
Eugeny
I got a couple of Wiz810sio modules.
These don’t get hot, and am able to talk over SPI to it.
When I write the MAC address Byte 1 is the same as Byte 2. Is there something special I have to do to write MAC address?
Thanks
RE: Wiz812MJ Gets Hot when SPI is connected
by Eugeny ·
Seems this module is broken then. If you put it into the same conditions as other modules and use the same software, and it behaves differently.
I do not think it is any issue with circuit as it could be if you use parallel access to the chip. You use SPI, and it sounds like chip is having problems. Anyway, the obvious things to check with the board are: (1) physical inspection if nothing is damaged or shorted; (2) power measurement before and after the regulator. I am afraid there’s not much more you can do… (considering you really put it into the same conditions as other modules!)
RE: Wiz812MJ Gets Hot when SPI is connected
by grama ·
You are right. Learning the nuance of a new chip is always interesting.
Thanks.
giri