W5500 EVB Loopback UDP test
Ethernet Chips
No replies yet. Be the first to reply.
Join the discussion.
Ethernet Chips
No replies yet. Be the first to reply.
Join the discussion.
Share projects and connect with makers.
Joined before the site update? first.
New to WIZnet Makers?
We sent a verification link to your address. Open it to activate your account, then log in.
Accounts from this email provider are reviewed by an administrator after verification. Approval usually takes one business day.
Already have an account?
Enter your email address. If it belongs to an account, we'll send a link to set a new password. Members who joined before the site update use this to set their password.
If an account uses that address, we sent a link to set a new password. The link works once and expires in 30 minutes.
Know your password?
Need an account?
RE: W5500 EVB Loopback UDP test
by arthurbe ·
I’m evaluating W5500 EVB board for delay performance only. Throughput is not interesting in my case, actually small UDP datagrams sent from PC (1 byte in payload) and looped back from W5500 + LPC11E36 on W5500_EVB. I measure the delay between send and receive on PC with Wireshark and get 4 millisecond. The PC runs a dot.net UDP client program to send and receive the datagrams.
Same test performed with two PCs one with the same client dot.net program and the other runs dot.net echo UDP server. Same measurement with Wireshark I get 2.5 milliseconds roundtrip.
It is impressive to get such results on a small ARM with the help of W5500 but I’m looking for a sub-millisecond roundtrip in my application. I guess it is possible with W5500 but the “socket API” software that runs on the ARM it is what slows things down.
Is there a method to close the loop at the W5500 itself without copying to the micro each received datagram?
Do you think the W7500 should have better performance in the same setup?
RE: RE: W5500 EVB Loopback UDP test
by Eugeny ·
Did you try the ping?
RE: W5500 EVB Loopback UDP test
by arthurbe ·
Did you try the ping?
Thanks Eugeny, You right the ping (ICMP) is done solely at the W5500. To be sure I hold the LPC11E36 in reset still getting the ping response, got 2 ms for ping roundtrip.
I tryied with a different network driver on PC and got
500microseconds!!
On the same PC network driver the previous UDP echo test goes down to 2.5 milli. (instead 4ms)
Can we asume small UDP fragment and ICMP takes approx. the same time on W5500? and the additional 2millisecs is all in the micro?
What can I do to squiz it further?
RE: RE: W5500 EVB Loopback UDP test
by Eugeny ·
In my opinion ping - if it is being answered by the W5500 chip in automatic mode (PB bit in MR register is 0) should be the fastest packet round trip time. If ping request is being answered by the software (W5500 driver in MC) then round trip time would heavily depend on the performance of the driver.
Usually it is the case.
What is the difference in drivers and their settings? What is the difference you see in the Wireshark? Now you see that network performance is very dependent on the software, while hardware of course plays significant role here.
RE: W5500 EVB Loopback UDP test
by arthurbe ·
the slower is a USB to ETHERNET Lenovo adaptor I use on my laptop for another i/f.
2 ms to recvfrom/sendto ??
I wrote an SPI master on ssp1 to read from Altera MAX10 FPGA:
this function takes 35 micro! (measured on osciloscope). Where all 2ms goes in recvfrom\sendto?
RE: W5500 EVB Loopback UDP test
by Eugeny ·
Usually it is the case what design and architecture of the software is a bottleneck. Hardware is usually predictable in its performance.
I think it should be logical that intermediary adds the delay.
This is good question, I do not know unless you explain what you do exactly. But I am sure as you will deep dive in how it works you will find the possible location and causes of delay yourself.