W5300 Maximum Throughput
Ethernet Chips
No replies yet. Be the first to reply.
Join the discussion.
Ethernet Chips
No replies yet. Be the first to reply.
Join the discussion.
Share projects and connect with makers.
Joined before the site update? first.
New to WIZnet Makers?
We sent a verification link to your address. Open it to activate your account, then log in.
Accounts from this email provider are reviewed by an administrator after verification. Approval usually takes one business day.
Already have an account?
Enter your email address. If it belongs to an account, we'll send a link to set a new password. Members who joined before the site update use this to set their password.
If an account uses that address, we sent a link to set a new password. The link works once and expires in 30 minutes.
Know your password?
Need an account?
RE: W5300 Maximum Throughput
by bangbh ·
Hi, abes.
I’m employee of wiznet.
Unfortunately, Our ICs(include W5300) does not support 1000 base-T. Our product support 10/100 base-T only.
And 100 base-T does not mean that all devices can transmit data with 100Mbps at same time.
All Devices in a same network share 100Mbps.
thanks.
RE: W5300 Maximum Throughput
by abes ·
Thank you for responding. I understand that all sockets share the same 100Mbit Ethernet connection. The question I’m asking is:
Can I write to a TX FIFO after I initiate a SEND operation, but before it completes?
If I can write to a FIFO during a SEND, then I can use more of the available 100Mbit bandwidth because I can buffer additional data during a SEND, and then do another SEND as soon as the first one completes.
If I cannot write to a FIFO during a SEND, then I’m thinking the physical Ethernet transmitter is always going to be idle while I’m writing to a TX FIFO. My goal is to avoid this idle time to maximize available bandwidth.
RE: W5300 Maximum Throughput
by bangbh ·
Good morning, abes.
It’s 8:30 AM, Korea.
Anyway,
You can write to FIFO during a send, if memory of socket n is available. W5300 has 128Kbytes memory for TX/RX.
Ex)
TX memory set to 64Kbytes. → Write 32Kbytes to TX FIFO → Send command. → 32Kbytes available you can write.
Sorry, I’m not good in English.
RE: W5300 Maximum Throughput
by abes ·
Thanks for the reply. I will test it and try to post the results to confirm.
RE: W5300 Maximum Throughput
by bangbh ·
I’m looking forward to hearing good news from you.
Can you tell me what kind of application you implement?
Good look.
RE: W5300 Maximum Throughput
by abes ·
Here are some initial results of a speed test.
I tested sending data over only one socket, and with two or more sockets. For two or more sockets, the FPGA starts sending data on one socket, and then fills a TX buffer of another socket before the send is complete. The maximum throughputs were:
one socket: about 43Mbps
two or more sockets: often near 80Mbps, but varied between 48Mbps and 90Mbps
I know that the theoretical max should be < 80Mbps with TCP, so I’m not sure if there are some timing issues that are causing it to show over 80Mbps sometimes. Also, I have not yet validated that I am getting the correct data. At least the initial indication shows that the W5300 may be getting very close to the theoretical maximum speed over a 100Mbps connection when using multiple sockets.
RE: W5300 Maximum Throughput
by bangbh ·
Congratulations.
RE: W5300 Maximum Throughput
by abes ·
As a quick follow up, I fixed one bug, and I also realized that 100Mbit signaling rate is 125M, not 100M, so with the 4B5 coding, you can actually get 100Mbps minus TCP overhead.
Now the W5300 is showing a pretty regular 94Mbps application data throughput when sending data over 4 sockets. Very nice!
RE: RE: W5300 Maximum Throughput
by adityagour ·
Hi
I was really great to see this… Can you please share the HDL code. I am ready to have some kind of deal if required.
RE: W5300 Maximum Throughput
by bangbh ·
Oh~ I’ve never seen before that W5300 makes 94Mbps.
It’s coooooooooool!