W5500 with better pitch?
Ethernet Chips
No replies yet. Be the first to reply.
Join the discussion.
Ethernet Chips
No replies yet. Be the first to reply.
Join the discussion.
Share projects and connect with makers.
Joined before the site update? first.
New to WIZnet Makers?
We sent a verification link to your address. Open it to activate your account, then log in.
Accounts from this email provider are reviewed by an administrator after verification. Approval usually takes one business day.
Already have an account?
Enter your email address. If it belongs to an account, we'll send a link to set a new password. Members who joined before the site update use this to set their password.
If an account uses that address, we sent a link to set a new password. The link works once and expires in 30 minutes.
Know your password?
Need an account?
RE: W5500 with better pitch?
by jckim ·
Dear Zick,
Wiznet can make TSSOP package or other package.
Serveral customers want a different type package but it’s not easy for us to support many kind of packages.
If the quantity is big enough, we can support it.
Thanks,
wiznet JC Kim
RE: W5500 with better pitch?
by Zick ·
Unfortunately this doesn’t really make sense to me.
The makers usually need only few chips and buy what’s availably on the market.
Why not make TSSOP the default package and offer custom packaging to corporate customers?
PS: In the latest newsletter you mention “easy-peasy DIY projects”. I don’t think LQFP is that easy-peasy.
I hope I was not to harsh… Please forgive me if I was.
RE: W5500 with better pitch?
by jckim ·
Dear Zick,
I feel bad making you inconvenient.
When it comes to soldering, you’re right, the boarder pitch is the better for DIY customers.
We will consider it seriously.
Thank you for your advice.
Wiznet.
RE: W5500 with better pitch?
by kammutierspule ·
I do not much agree with things above.
I consider myself a maker. If I can get my product into quantity production, I would like to have the cheapest (and maybe smaller) IC.
Considering that this IC will need a lot of external (SMD!!) components, the LQFP package in a (professional made) PCB is will OK to solder. Of course it will be hardware if you think to it in a DIY home made PCB board.
As I believe WIZnet will not make profit selling ICs to the DIY makers single projects, I hope they can continue in a business model that can sustain the chip support and future development.
If I can vote, I will vote for a 32 pin LQFP. Right now there are 14 not connect PIN.
RE: W5500 with better pitch?
by Zick ·
@jckim,
that’s nice, thanks too.
@kammutierspule
Good to hear other opinions.
Of course you need a lot of other (smd) parts. But e.g. between 0402 and 1206 is a “subtle” difference too.
And what about the people that don’t do “quantity production” and etch a PCB (without solder stop) only when they need one?
I’m not a trained electronics designer and looking at the tiny pitch makes me feel I’ll never be able solder it.