W5200 - Erratum 3 - MACRAW mode
Ethernet Chips
No replies yet. Be the first to reply.
Join the discussion.
Ethernet Chips
No replies yet. Be the first to reply.
Join the discussion.
Share projects and connect with makers.
Joined before the site update? first.
New to WIZnet Makers?
We sent a verification link to your address. Open it to activate your account, then log in.
Accounts from this email provider are reviewed by an administrator after verification. Approval usually takes one business day.
Already have an account?
Enter your email address. If it belongs to an account, we'll send a link to set a new password. Members who joined before the site update use this to set their password.
If an account uses that address, we sent a link to set a new password. The link works once and expires in 30 minutes.
Know your password?
Need an account?
RE: W5200 - Erratum 3 - MACRAW mode
by hjjeon0608 ·
Hi, lr15.
Appended dummy data means broken data.
| data length , broken data | real data |
|--------- 2 byte --------------|
So, it seemed larger than real data length.
And W5200 has auto-reply about ARP request. So you don’t need to take care about it.
If you tell me more why you want to read ARP packet, I guide you in more detail.
And valid ARP data is 42bytes and others is padding data so, you can parse to read data as Sn_RX_RD for length and write data length to Sn_RX_WR as same as Sn_RX_RD.
Best regards.
RE: W5200 - Erratum 3 - MACRAW mode
by lr15 ·
Hi hjjeon0608, Thanks for the response.
As for the work I’m doing I need to capture and store all the Ethernet frames to analysed later. So all the Ethernet frames irrespective of their Ethernet type has to be captured. This is only a Layer 2 operation. This is not about ARP, I just gave an example. It could be any ether type. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethernet_frame
“And W5200 has auto-reply about ARP request. So you don’t need to take care about it.”
Incorrect. w5200 will not reply for ARP in MACRAW mode. How can it reply, I don’t have an IP! I’m just handling RAW Ethernet frames with MAC address, a Layer 2 operation.
So all it means is, the reported packet info will be wrong - it contains actual length + dummy length and NO DUMMY data is actually inserted. Is this correct? If this is correct, how can I find the actual received length so that I can read the Ethernet frames? Is it possible to receive just Ethernet frames - only Layer 2 operation. No IP layer?
RE: W5200 - Erratum 3 - MACRAW mode
by hjjeon0608 ·
Hi, lr15.
I understand your questions.
If you don’t set source IP address, W5200 doesn’t send ARP reply, and you are right.
So ignore my statement about this.
Dummy data is broken data inserted in packet-info as I said, so it is always in PACKET-INFO 2 bytes.
And real data has no dummy data.
| real data length + dummy data | real data |
|---------- 2 bytes ---------------|
| packet-info |
So, you can read real data after ignoring packet info(2 bytes).
And you can know data length as reading Sn_RD_RSR register and this contain packet info so (Sn_RD_RSR value - 2) is real data length.
Best regards.
RE: W5200 - Erratum 3 - MACRAW mode
by lr15 ·
Glad to see you in sync with my question
“So, you can read real data after ignoring packet info(2 bytes). And you can know data length as reading Sn_RD_RSR register and this contain packet info so (Sn_RD_RSR value - 2) is real data length.”
Problem with your solution is the RX FIFO can accumulate packets i.e it could contain more than one packet.
ex:) two packets; 60 bytes and 70 bytes. But packet info says 62 and 73. Sn_RD_RSR says 134.
|------2 bytes -----|------60 bytes data-------|-----2 bytes----|-------70 bytes-------|
| packet-info - 62 | Ethernet frame | packet-info - 73 | Ethernet frame |
It is not possible to extract since Sn_RD_RSR now doesn’t denote the packet length since there are many packets. This will not work. Am I missing something?
RE: W5200 - Erratum 3 - MACRAW mode
by hjjeon0608 ·
Hi, lr15.
I think it is impossible to parse not IP packet because of the problem as you said.
I’m sorry for that. And I suggest to change chip to you.
5100, 5300, 5500 has no bug about this. So, you can handle it.
I apology again.
Best regards.
RE: W5200 - Erratum 3 - MACRAW mode
by lr15 ·
w5300 is used in one of our products. It works without this issue in MACRAW mode. Replacing with w5300 is not an option, it has much more pins and it will be hard to fit in.
w5100 doesn’t meet the criteria as 8 sockets are required.
w5500 looks to have similar pin out, register settings and functionality as w5200. I’m not able to locate the Errata sheet for w5500 in your website? Can you provide it?
Thanks
RE: W5200 - Erratum 3 - MACRAW mode
by hjjeon0608 ·
Hi, lr15.
We fixed that bug and we tested aging. The result has no problem until now.
In other words, we don’t have errata sheet about W5500.
Best regards.
RE: W5200 - Erratum 3 - MACRAW mode
by a2retro ·
Can W5200 be purchased that does not have this bug? We would like the flexibility to use IND or SPI with the w5200 without bug.