W55RP20-EVB-PICO + WIZPoE-S1 = Magic Smoke
MCU & Boards
No replies yet. Be the first to reply.
Join the discussion.
MCU & Boards
No replies yet. Be the first to reply.
Join the discussion.
Share projects and connect with makers.
Joined before the site update? first.
New to WIZnet Makers?
We sent a verification link to your address. Open it to activate your account, then log in.
Accounts from this email provider are reviewed by an administrator after verification. Approval usually takes one business day.
Already have an account?
Enter your email address. If it belongs to an account, we'll send a link to set a new password. Members who joined before the site update use this to set their password.
If an account uses that address, we sent a link to set a new password. The link works once and expires in 30 minutes.
Know your password?
Need an account?
RE: W55RP20-EVB-PICO + WIZPoE-S1 = Magic Smoke
by WIZnet AI AI generated ·
RE: RE: W55RP20-EVB-PICO + WIZPoE-S1 = Magic Smoke
by irukard ·
Dear AI bot. You understand nothing. I'm not frustrated. Just disappointed.
RE: W55RP20-EVB-PICO + WIZPoE-S1 = Magic Smoke
by irukard ·
Now I've got 4 pcs of killed W55RP20-EVB-PICO, but I've also got answers.
In all modules SGM62112-3.3 died. VSYS is shorted to GND.
On oscilloscope I confirmed that WIZPoE-S1 on start generate long voltage spike (about 1 second) up to 10-12V. This is way over SGM's absolute maximum rating, which is 6V. Long story short that kills SGM regulator.
Do not use W55RP20-EVB-PICO with WIZPoE-S1.
Wiznet - now you owe me some boards.
RE: RE: W55RP20-EVB-PICO + WIZPoE-S1 = Magic Smoke
by Alan WIZnet ·
Sorry.
We are well aware of this matter.
How can we assist you?
Shall we send you new boards?
Please kindly provide the details to the following email: Alan@wiznet.io
Thank you.
RE: RE: W55RP20-EVB-PICO + WIZPoE-S1 = Magic Smoke
by irukard ·
Alan:
I wasted a way too much time developing solution based on W55RP20-EVB-PICO and WIZPoE-S1 thinking that it will be compatible. My main constraint is time not money. If I would know that your PoE solution is garbage I would pick ESP32-POE from Olimex.
You want to be maker community friendly? This is what should you do:
How can you assist me?
I got all my code and PCB done. Now I need to figure out what should I do to make it work. I need 5V (4.5-5V) to power on Sensirion SEN55. So my only option is VSYS. But VSYS from WIZPoE-S1 spikes to 10-12V on power on, and about 8-9V on RJ45 jack disconnect.
Do you have any ideas how to mitigate that? Should I add some load, TVS and LDO? Also I would appreciate WIZPoE-S1 schematics to figure out how to modify this module.
RE: RE: W55RP20-EVB-PICO + WIZPoE-S1 = Magic Smoke
by Alan WIZnet ·
I acknowledge everything you said. I sincerely apologize.
We are aware that there is an issue with the WIZPoE-S1.
Therefore, we plan to discontinue the WIZPoE-S1.
The WIZPoE-P1 is fully compatible.
Would you like to resolve the issue while still using the WIZPoE-S1?
If you are planning mass production, we recommend switching to the WIZPoE-P1.
Unfortunately, we are unable to share the circuit schematics.
RE: RE: W55RP20-EVB-PICO + WIZPoE-S1 = Magic Smoke
by irukard ·
Hi Alan,
It is too bad you are unable to share the schematics of WIZPoE-S1. It really would help us with debugging.
Our team found the way how to ad-hoc modify this module, to a point it can be used with W55RP20-EVB-PICO without or risk of damaging the board. It is far from perfect but without schematics and values of capacitors and resistors in feedback loop, we are not willing to invest more time to further improve it. Right now feedback loop is too sluggish, it should react way faster. Maybe it was a victim of BOM optimization and some values were changed.
Here is what we recommend:
Hope this information helps everyone with similar problems.
So in conclusion:
RE: RE: W55RP20-EVB-PICO + WIZPoE-S1 = Magic Smoke
by Alan WIZnet ·
WIZPoE-S1 was discontinued shortly after its release due to identified issues.
However, since many units had already been sold to resellers, we were unable to recall the shipped products.
As you can see, we do not sell WIZPoE-S1 anywhere on our site.
We regret the cost and time you’ve spent.
If you send us your module, we will review it.
If you can trust us once again, please contact us via email.
We can recommend another PoE module that complies with EMI regulations and offers stable operation.