Why does W6100 returns 1 2 3 as first three bytes during every read?
Ethernet Chips
No replies yet. Be the first to reply.
Join the discussion.
Ethernet Chips
No replies yet. Be the first to reply.
Join the discussion.
Share projects and connect with makers.
Joined before the site update? first.
New to WIZnet Makers?
We sent a verification link to your address. Open it to activate your account, then log in.
Accounts from this email provider are reviewed by an administrator after verification. Approval usually takes one business day.
Already have an account?
Enter your email address. If it belongs to an account, we'll send a link to set a new password. Members who joined before the site update use this to set their password.
If an account uses that address, we sent a link to set a new password. The link works once and expires in 30 minutes.
Know your password?
Need an account?
RE: Why does W6100 returns 1 2 3 as first three bytes during every read?
by wiznet dev ·
Update: I found that the timing diagram also shows 1, 2, 3 in the in response. However, no further info is provided about what those bytes mean.
RE: RE: Why does W6100 returns 1 2 3 as first three bytes during every read?
by becky ·
This is a value to check if SPI Read is working properly.
As the value set by WIZnet, dummy data is generally entered, but it is fixed as 123.
RE: Why does W6100 returns 1 2 3 as first three bytes during every read?
by wiznet dev ·
Then how do EVB test codes using io6Library work when these 1st 3 bytes are not handled by the library. I also didn’t see handling of 1st 3 bytes in SPI read/write methods of codes given by WIZnet. I referred to w6100-evb-gcc-eclipse and W6100EVB_CUBEIDE.
For my host controller, I have modified my SPI read/write methods to ignore these bytes. Am I missing anything? Is there a way to stop WIZnet from sending host controller 123?
Thanks!
RE: Why does W6100 returns 1 2 3 as first three bytes during every read?
by wiznet dev ·
Then how do EVB test codes using io6Library work when these 1st 3 bytes are not handled by the library. I also didn’t see handling of 1st 3 bytes in SPI read/write methods of codes given by WIZnet. I referred to w6100-evb-gcc-eclipse and W6100EVB_CUBEIDE.
For my host controller, I have modified my SPI read/write methods to ignore these bytes. Am I missing anything? Is there a way to stop WIZnet from sending host controller 123?
Thanks!
RE: Why does W6100 returns 1 2 3 as first three bytes during every read?
by Welocs ·
Hi,
as SPI uses a shift register and as this register is connected on one side to MOSI and on the other side to MISO, there is no way NOT to read any bits, while also writing. So i doesn’t matter, what the W6100 is sending there. There are some chips, which configure the MISO-pin to HIGH-Z until they really want to send data. What you do then? You just would get random bytes read, while writing.
There is no point of stopping the chip doing that, because at this point the W6100 never would know what data to send, until you finished telling him what to do - thats a common/standard SPI thing.
Regards