W5500 responding to SPI, but hangs on socket creation
Ethernet Chips
No replies yet. Be the first to reply.
Join the discussion.
Ethernet Chips
No replies yet. Be the first to reply.
Join the discussion.
Share projects and connect with makers.
Joined before the site update? first.
New to WIZnet Makers?
We sent a verification link to your address. Open it to activate your account, then log in.
Accounts from this email provider are reviewed by an administrator after verification. Approval usually takes one business day.
Already have an account?
Enter your email address. If it belongs to an account, we'll send a link to set a new password. Members who joined before the site update use this to set their password.
If an account uses that address, we sent a link to set a new password. The link works once and expires in 30 minutes.
Know your password?
Need an account?
RE: W5500 responding to SPI, but hangs on socket creation
by irina WIZnet ·
I will tell hardware engineer about your question.
He will response about it.
@Scott
RE: W5500 responding to SPI, but hangs on socket creation
by Eugeny ·
You seems have made a number of mistakes in your board.
RE: RE: W5500 responding to SPI, but hangs on socket creation
by ntldr ·
Thanks for the reply.
Very likely. It’s my first slightly more complex design compared to those that I could easily plug together on a breadboard. So any help is greatly appreciated.
Where exactly is the mistake? It’s connected to the transmission center tap of the RJ45 Magjack and ground, the same as in the reference schematic (C8 in that one).
Right. Not sure where I got 51R from.
Good catch. Looks like I used the external schematic there for some reason.
I’ve been using an Epson FA-20H 25.0000MF20X-K3 crystal with a 10pF load capacitance. I followed the formula found in the ST Oscillator design guide (AN2867) (CL = (C1*C2) / (C1+C2) + CStray), which yields me a C1/C2 value of 10pF for an assumed 5pF stray PCB capacitance. This is one thing that I’m especially unsure about, as I have very little experience with external oscillators.
All resistors I used are 1%.
Yes, via an inductor (L1 on the PCB). I double checked an measured that 3V3A is present on the W5500.
It’s hooked up to the main MCU (STM32F401RET), which pulls it down for 500ms pre-initialization and then pulls it back up to force a clean reset. I’m waiting for another 500ms before continuing with the initialization (via wizchip_init) to ensure the chip is ready (the W5500 datasheet specifies 150ms for that, but I’d rather be safe).
I’ve swapped out the Resistors with some 49.9R 1% now and this gets me a bit further. Now I end up getting stuck a few lines further in the socket function [1].
[1] https://github.com/Wiznet/ioLibrary_Driver/blob/master/Ethernet/socket.c#L236
RE: W5500 responding to SPI, but hangs on socket creation
by Eugeny ·
Sorry my mistake. You did it correctly.
Very good.
Try performing software reset after this hardware reset. Set bit 7 of MR, and wait until it clears to 0, and then proceed to the chip configuration.
RE: W5500 responding to SPI, but hangs on socket creation
by scott WIZnet ·
Dear ntldr
I’ve reviewed your PCB photos.
Did you connect the GND to trace?
GND is weak, it is difficult to operate the analog side.
You should be connected to GND is plane.
Thank you.
Scott
RE: W5500 responding to SPI, but hangs on socket creation
by zzwwss ·
Hi ntldr
May I ask if your problem has been resolved? I have encountered some similar problems and would like to refer to your solution
Thank you