Ethernet Termination Issues
Ethernet Chips
No replies yet. Be the first to reply.
Join the discussion.
Ethernet Chips
No replies yet. Be the first to reply.
Join the discussion.
Share projects and connect with makers.
Joined before the site update? first.
New to WIZnet Makers?
We sent a verification link to your address. Open it to activate your account, then log in.
Accounts from this email provider are reviewed by an administrator after verification. Approval usually takes one business day.
Already have an account?
Enter your email address. If it belongs to an account, we'll send a link to set a new password. Members who joined before the site update use this to set their password.
If an account uses that address, we sent a link to set a new password. The link works once and expires in 30 minutes.
Know your password?
Need an account?
RE: Ethernet Termination Issues
by Eugeny ·
No, they are DC decoupling. I suspect for the cases when you mistakenly connect CT to the 3.3V (or have transformer with only one CT - see section “RJ45 with integrated Transformer and connected CT”).
I think you have proven that it will not, or better to say functionality is not guaranteed. Change your circuit and board according to the reference circuit diagram. I hope you’ve seen these documents before designing your board. Also notice that W5500 is not MDIX capable.
RE: Ethernet Termination Issues
by CoolNamesAllTaken ·
Thanks Eugeny, I’ve revised my board to follow the reference diagram RJ45 termination, and have phase-matched my differential pairs out of an abundance of caution. I’ll update here if things go wrong.
After looking at the “RJ45 with Integrated Transformer and connected CT” schematic, it looks like things are expected to fail if the RX+ and RX- lines are connected to +3.3V in any way–that seems to be my mistake. I wonder why the DC decoupling capacitors are present in the reference design even when the center tap of the RX transformer is not connected to +3.3V…
In any case, thanks again for your input! I’m using a router with my board (no devices in between), so I believe that I wouldn’t require MDIX functionality. Hopefully the board works this next time around.