Unable to received broadcasts
Ethernet Chips
No replies yet. Be the first to reply.
Join the discussion.
Ethernet Chips
No replies yet. Be the first to reply.
Join the discussion.
Share projects and connect with makers.
Joined before the site update? first.
New to WIZnet Makers?
We sent a verification link to your address. Open it to activate your account, then log in.
Accounts from this email provider are reviewed by an administrator after verification. Approval usually takes one business day.
Already have an account?
Enter your email address. If it belongs to an account, we'll send a link to set a new password. Members who joined before the site update use this to set their password.
If an account uses that address, we sent a link to set a new password. The link works once and expires in 30 minutes.
Know your password?
Need an account?
RE: Unable to received broadcasts
by suhwan ·
Hi jatabotton,
We will check your problem.
Could you explain the Network information as like SRC IP/ Netmask / Subnet of W5200?
Thanks.
RE: Unable to received broadcasts
by jtarbotton ·
This is for DCHP so all that is unknown hence the broadcasts. As stated to W5200 is configured with a source IP of 0.0.0.0 and a netmask of 0.0.0.0 at this time. The host PC sending the packet was was configured with a netmask of 255.0.0.0 when that trace was taken but class B and class C networks have also been tried with similiar results.
I have since downloaded the file W7200_AN_DHCP_SMTP_V111.zip and I do not see anything I am doing different.
RE: Unable to received broadcasts
by hjjeon0608 ·
Hi,
You connect
W5200 <-------direct-------> PC
???
Or via router or switch ??
RE: Unable to received broadcasts
by jtarbotton ·
I have them connected using a Hub. I was concerned the packets were not reaching the W5200 so I connected a second PC to the hub and ran the wireshark trace on that and it showed the packet. Also the light blinks when on the W5200 when I send the broadcast from the PC so it seems the packet is reaching the device.
RE: Unable to received broadcasts
by suhwan ·
You problem is that you can’t capture and received the DHCP discovery packet(broadcast) on wireshark with dummy hub.
We guess that UDPsend command could called before linking of PHY in W5200.
For checking the link status of PHY, you added below code before UDPsend.
Please, refer PHYSTATUS register as follows
[quote]PHYSTATUS(W5200 PHY status Register)[R/W][0x0035][0x00]
PHYSTATUS is the Register to indicate W5200 status of PHY.
Bit Symbol Description
7 Reserved Reserved
6 Reserved Reserved
5 LINK
Link Status Register[Read Only]
This register indicates Link status.
0 : Link down
1 : Link Up
4 Reserved Reserved
3 POWERDOWN
Power down mode of PHY[Read/Write]
This register indicates status of Power down mode
0 : Disable Power down mode(operates normal mode)
1 : Enable Power down mode
2 Reserved Reserved
1 Reserved Reserved
0 Reserved Reserved
[/quote]
And, we recommend that DHCP discovery have to retry just in case DHCP fails.
RE: Unable to received broadcasts
by jtarbotton ·
Thanks for he reply.
However I am already doing that. The DISCOVERY packet is being sent out and the DHCP server sends out an OFFER but the offer is not being received by udp socket.
RE: Unable to received broadcasts
by hjjeon0608 ·
I think the hub discard the OFFER packet.
I tested W5200 received broadcast packet well.
So, for test, connect PC to W5200 directly or use another hub.
RE: Unable to received broadcasts
by hjjeon0608 ·
I tested DHCP. And DHCP worked very well.
I attached driver file for DHCP at W7200 application note.
wiznet.co.kr:8011/UpLoad_Fi … P_V111.zip
And this is wireshark packet capture file. Refer to it.
dhcp.zip (377 Bytes)
RE: Unable to received broadcasts
by jtarbotton ·
Thanks for the trace. That at least is confirmation it is possible for the W5200 to receive the broadcast. I had already downloaded and reviewed the source you referred to. We are now going to try a W5200Emu module and put in the sample code, verify it works and then try to break it the same way to figure out the problem.
We are sure the hub is not dropping the packets. That is where the extra pc running wireshark is. We tried a direct connection to the pc first. We had aTCP loopback running with static ip before working on the dhcp.
RE: Unable to received broadcasts
by jtarbotton ·
We found the problem. UDP does not seem to work correctly if the MF (MAC Filtering bit) is set in the SN_MR register. The documentation should be updated to reflect this. Setting this bit seems like the correct think to do. Otherwise it seems you want promiscuous mode which I do not. It is strange that setting this changed the way it responded to IP addresses even though the MAC address was not changed. We dumped all the registers from the W5200-EVB and this was the difference. We were able to reproduce the problem in the W5200-EVB by setting this bit.