---
title: "W5500-EVB-Pico MAc address"
url: "https://maker.wiznet.io/forum/16006"
markdown_url: "https://maker.wiznet.io/forum/16006/md"
type: "Forum topic"
category: "MCU & Boards"
author: "DAncingbear"
created: "2026-03-19T04:29:06+09:00"
last_activity: "2026-03-19T13:58:36+09:00"
language: "en"
tags: ["MicroPython"]
views: 4
replies: 2
source: "WIZnet Makers forum (https://maker.wiznet.io/forum/)"
---

# W5500-EVB-Pico MAc address

## Question

Asked by DAncingbear on 2026-03-19 in MCU & Boards.

I have been working on a project using a W5500-EVB-Pico-POE board and most of what I am trying to do is working. This is interface to a GPS module and display time on a 7-segment and LCD displays.

However what I would like to do is also use this as a NTP server. But this is where my issues start. I have configured an IP address and port and the code says it is listening, but never sees any incoming packets.

After digging deeper I have found that the software always returns a MAC address of 00:00:00:00:00:00. But for network comms to occur i am sure the hardware needs a valid MAC address.

So do I have faulty hardware? or is it something that is software configured? If it is the later than how do I do this?

I have tried the code below, where

MAC_ADDRESS = b''\xDE\xAD\xBE\xEF\x00\x01''

But the MAC address is always returned as 00's.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Simon

```diff
def setup_ethernet():
    debug_print("[Ethernet] Initializing WIZNET5K Ethernet module...")
    nic = network.WIZNET5K() 
    print(nic.config("mac"))
    # Set MAC address from config
    nic.config(mac=config.MAC_ADDRESS)
    mac_bytes_set = nic.config(''mac'')
    mac_str_set = '':''.join(''{:02X}''.format(b) for b in mac_bytes_set)
    debug_print(f"[DEBUG] MAC after set: {mac_str_set}")
    nic.ifconfig((config.ETHERNET_IP, config.ETHERNET_SUBNET, config.ETHERNET_GATEWAY, config.ETHERNET_DNS))
    mac_bytes = nic.config(''mac'')
    mac_str = '':''.join(''{:02X}''.format(b) for b in mac_bytes)
    debug_print(f"Ethernet MAC: {mac_str}")
    debug_print(f"[Ethernet] IP: {nic.ifconfig()}")
    return nic
```

## Replies

### Reply 1 by DAncingbear, 2026-03-19

Thanks for this. Iam using micropython version

W5500_EVB_PICO-20251209-v1.27.0.uf2

but I am getting

"WIZNET5K" is not a known attribute of module "network"

when I enter the code you have given me. As for pins As this is a board in it's own right the defined pins are hardwired.

### Reply 2 by Aimee0, 2026-03-19

Hi,

Please refer to our official repository and usage guide below:

- <https://github.com/WIZnet-ioNIC/WIZnet-EVB-Pico-micropython>

- <https://github.com/WIZnet-ioNIC/WIZnet-EVB-Pico-micropython/blob/README/README.md>

First, please check whether the **WIZNET5K library is included under the **`**lib/**`** directory** in your project.

If it is not included, please run the following command to initialize and update the submodules:

```c
$ git submodule update --init --recursive
```

After that, please rebuild and run your project again.

Thank you.

---

Source: https://maker.wiznet.io/forum/16006
