---
title: "mDNS Pico C Library for W5500 to detect mqtt brokers on network without static IP config"
url: "https://maker.wiznet.io/forum/15973"
markdown_url: "https://maker.wiznet.io/forum/15973/md"
type: "Forum topic"
category: "MCU & Boards"
author: "damn123444"
created: "2026-01-17T00:22:41+09:00"
last_activity: "2026-01-17T00:28:40+09:00"
language: "en"
views: 2
replies: 1
source: "WIZnet Makers forum (https://maker.wiznet.io/forum/)"
---

# mDNS Pico C Library for W5500 to detect mqtt brokers on network without static IP config

## Question

Asked by damn123444 on 2026-01-17 in MCU & Boards.

I'd like to be able to connect to a MQTT broker on local network without using a static IP config in code with something like "mybroker.local" using mDNS but other than some legends about it working but not so well in micropython in the past and some archived arduino lib I haven't seen any examples of that for rp2040 W5500 with the wiznet lib.

Any suggestions how could that be achieved?

I'd guess sent some udp broadcast to the local network over 224.0.0.251:5353 suggested by Leo:

<https://search.brave.com/search?q=W5500+wiznet+pico+c+discover+mdns+hostname+of+linux+machine+on+local+network&summary=1&conversation=089fab8198e4b45786eb1f685fbdc17b7bef>

but I'm sure of what the structure of the message should be and if the reposnse is straight to the point ip address of the host name uri

## Replies

### Reply 1 by damn123444, 2026-01-17

Do you have an example of what a mDNS response'd look like from a host?

---

Source: https://maker.wiznet.io/forum/15973
