---
title: "W5500-EVB-Pico-PoE in Bootloader / Thonny"
url: "https://maker.wiznet.io/forum/15753"
markdown_url: "https://maker.wiznet.io/forum/15753/md"
type: "Forum topic"
category: "Ethernet Chips"
author: "Henning_DE_2025"
created: "2025-06-08T20:01:45+09:00"
last_activity: "2025-07-02T00:07:15+09:00"
language: "en"
views: 9
replies: 5
source: "WIZnet Makers forum (https://maker.wiznet.io/forum/)"
---

# W5500-EVB-Pico-PoE in Bootloader / Thonny

## Question

Asked by Henning_DE_2025 on 2025-06-08 in Ethernet Chips.

I got two W5500-EVB-Pico-PoE boards , Rev. 1.1, without the WIZPoE-P1. Unfortunately, I can't connect them to my MAC computer in bootloader mode (pressing the bootloader button while connected via USB-C). Neither board appears as a drive. Thonny, for example, doesn't detect the boards as an interface under any circumstances.

I've connected other boards (e.g., Raspberry Pico or W5500-EVB-Pico) to analyze the problem, and they appear as drives on the computer without any problems and Thonny works fine as well.

Is there anything special to note with the W5500-EVB-Pico-PoE?

## Replies

### Reply 1 by Henning_DE_2025, 2025-06-08

I measured the voltages related to Bootsel-Button. Similar to the Raspberry Pico the pressing of the button loweres the voltage on the pin QSPII_SS_N (pin 56 of RP2040) correctly a bit to ca. 3.1V. So I would say the W5500-EVB-Pico-PoE is OK. But I have no idea why it is not recognized by Thonny or in Bootsel-Mode as a USB drive...

### Reply 2 by Grace_Koo, 2025-06-09

Hello,
May I ask how you are currently connecting the board to your Mac PC?
I recommend trying to connect it through a powered USB hub, preferably using a USB 2.0 or lower port.
If the issue persists, please don’t hesitate to reach out again.
Thank you.

### Reply 3 by Henning_DE_2025, 2025-06-10 (in reply to reply 2)

Hello, thank you for your answer.
Right now I tried via a powerded USB-C-Hub. I also tried to connect it via USB-C to the mac directly and as well via USB2. Nothing lets it connect...

### Reply 4 by Grace_Koo, 2025-06-19

Thanks for the update.

I just tested a W5500-EVB-Pico-PoE Rev. 1.1 board (without the WIZPoE-P1 module) on macOS, and it worked without any issues. Holding down the BOOTSEL button and connecting the board via USB mounted it as a USB drive normally.

Could you please double-check the following?

1. Are you using a USB-C cable that supports data? (Some cables are charge-only and won’t allow USB recognition)

2. If possible, try connecting to a Windows PC

3. Make sure to press and hold the BOOTSEL button before connecting the USB cable, and keep it held for a few seconds

4. Check whether the power LED turns on when the board is connected

If you’ve already tried all of the above and both boards still don’t respond, there may be a hardware issue with the boards.
In that case, we recommend contacting your distributor or seller for a replacement.

### Reply 5 by Henning_DE_2025, 2025-07-02 (in reply to reply 4)

Thank you! After not working on this project for some days I tried from scratch focussing on the cables and ports as you suggested. I got it working with a very short cable (10cm) and directly connected to the Macs ports on the back side. It does not work with a longer cable (working with other boards fine) or on a hub... Now I can go on! Thank you for your help!

---

Source: https://maker.wiznet.io/forum/15753
