---
title: "W55RP20-EVB-Pico / W550RP20-S2E Local host name"
url: "https://maker.wiznet.io/forum/15532"
markdown_url: "https://maker.wiznet.io/forum/15532/md"
type: "Forum topic"
category: "Serial-to-Ethernet & ConfigTool"
author: "JonathanB"
created: "2025-01-22T19:02:12+09:00"
last_activity: "2025-01-23T20:27:11+09:00"
language: "en"
tags: ["W55RP20"]
views: 7
replies: 2
source: "WIZnet Makers forum (https://maker.wiznet.io/forum/)"
---

# W55RP20-EVB-Pico / W550RP20-S2E Local host name

## Question

Asked by JonathanB on 2025-01-22 in Serial-to-Ethernet & ConfigTool.

Hi, I am using the W55RP20-EVB-Pico (with S2E firmware) as a TCP server to provide data to a PC over networks from a serial device.

Previously we used Digi Connect ME modules, where it was possible to set a host name for each serial device. The DHCP server pick up this name and it is possible to ping the serial device by its name as well as IP address.

However, with the W55RP20, I find only the "RH" remote host setting, which is not the local name. Searching the internet, I found that WIZnet sometimes use WIZnet + last three bytes of MAC address. So I tried pinging this name (Wiznet000000 in my case) and it worked. But we need to personalize the name for each device (normally we set to product serial number). How can we do that? There is nothing to change this in the config program. I also looked through the S2E firmware source code and didn't find where it is set.

## Replies

### Reply 1 by JonathanB, 2025-01-23

Then I am afraid this is a show-stopper for us. Alternatives such as Lantronix XPort allow setting of DHCP host name. Our equipment uses the finished goods serial number as a unique host name, so we need a way to apply this via (ideally) ethernet port or (not so ideal but may be possible) serial side.

### Reply 2 by JonathanB, 2025-01-23

I see there is an open request for the ioLibrary_Driver (#110) from 2021:

```
There is now the option to supply the DHCP hostname to DHCP_init rather than hard-coding in dhcp.h, so that the hostname can be stored in EEPROM for example, and the option to not append the last three octets of the MAC address to the DHCP hostname
```

---

Source: https://maker.wiznet.io/forum/15532
