---
title: "W5500 pings but browser does not connect"
url: "https://maker.wiznet.io/forum/15292"
markdown_url: "https://maker.wiznet.io/forum/15292/md"
type: "Forum topic"
category: "Ethernet Chips"
author: "Parthasaradhi Nayani"
created: "2023-05-29T04:01:28+09:00"
last_activity: "2023-05-29T11:56:23+09:00"
language: "en"
views: 330
replies: 9
source: "WIZnet Makers forum (https://maker.wiznet.io/forum/)"
---

# W5500 pings but browser does not connect

## Question

Asked by Parthasaradhi Nayani on 2023-05-29 in Ethernet Chips.

Hello all,
I have a local network (192.168.1.xxx) where I have a W5500 based STM32 board connected as sever having a static IP of 192.168.1.241. I am able to connect to the server and get a web page sometimes and other times the browser says cannot reach host. When I ping W5500 from the same computer, ping reply comes. What could be the problem? Can someone help me please? Thank you.
NPS

## Replies

### Reply 1 by Eugeny, 2023-05-29

No free sockets to connect to? You must have some sort of diagnostic output at the W5500 side to know the reason. Start with displaying status of all the sockets.

### Reply 2 by Parthasaradhi Nayani, 2023-05-29 (in reply to reply 1)

Hello Eugeny,
Thank you for your reply/suggestions. I have set aside 6 sockets to connect and all are free. Yes I have a diagnostic routine through which I can see the status of the socket on my serial terminal. All show 0x14 (listen mode) status. Any more suggestions please?

NPS

### Reply 3 by Parthasaradhi Nayani, 2023-05-29 (in reply to reply 1)

Hi Eugeny,
I am getting 0x1E as status. This is not documented. Can you through come light on this please? Thank you.

NPS

### Reply 4 by Eugeny, 2023-05-29 (in reply to reply 2)

Next step is put listener PC just next to W5500 with Wireshark (in bridge mode to listen to all the packets) and check all the traffic to see what the cause of the issues could be. Do the W5500 sockets perform DISCON before closing the sockets and getting to LISTEN state?

### Reply 5 by Parthasaradhi Nayani, 2023-05-29 (in reply to reply 4)

Hello Eugeny,
“Bridge mode”?? I do not know what this mode is. Can you elaborate please? Yes I disconnect and then close the connection. Thank you.

NPS

### Reply 6 by Eugeny, 2023-05-29 (in reply to reply 5)

[Bridge mode](https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-bridge-wifi-with-ethernet-in-windows-10/7c11691c-3ad4-403e-b934-8e7f0d899d5a). You should be able to find lots of articles on this for various operating systems. You must put W5500 in series with this PC to see all the traffic.

### Reply 7 by Parthasaradhi Nayani, 2023-05-29 (in reply to reply 6)

Hello Eugeny,
If you are referring to connecting the W5500 through LAN cable to my PC/Laptop and PC/laptop being connected to Wi-Fi on the other side and then sniff the traffic on the wired side, on Windows this does not happen. I tried to bridge the two but never worked. The procedure seems very simple but at least for me it never worked on Windows 11. I am connecting my W5500 to the router port and my laptop is connected via Wi-Fi hence sniffing the traffic may not be a an issue. Thanks.

### Reply 8 by Eugeny, 2023-05-29 (in reply to reply 7)

Parthasaradhi_Nayani:

> but at least for me it never worked on Windows 11

Then this is first problem to solve. It always worked for me in Win 10 and Win XP. You probably need to look into the Windows firewall.

Parthasaradhi_Nayani:

> sniffing the traffic may not be a an issue

I would not rely on this premise.

### Reply 9 by Parthasaradhi Nayani, 2023-05-29 (in reply to reply 8)

Hello Eugeny,
I tried to create a bridge between the ethernet port and wi-fi in my laptop but it never worked. If I have to solve this problem, I am sure it will take a lot of time. Anyway I will solve that first and then come back. I should be back by tomorrow!!! Thank you

---

Source: https://maker.wiznet.io/forum/15292
