---
title: "W5500 No SPI Communication"
url: "https://maker.wiznet.io/forum/15268"
markdown_url: "https://maker.wiznet.io/forum/15268/md"
type: "Forum topic"
category: "Ethernet Chips"
author: "JxTheCreator"
created: "2024-08-28T09:24:34+09:00"
last_activity: "2024-09-03T00:36:29+09:00"
language: "en"
views: 39
replies: 4
source: "WIZnet Makers forum (https://maker.wiznet.io/forum/)"
---

# W5500 No SPI Communication

## Question

Asked by JxTheCreator on 2024-08-28 in Ethernet Chips.

Hi,
I had a designer online create me a schematic/PCB with a POE enabled W5500 / ESP32 combination however I can’t seem to get any SPI communication working. I was wondering if there is anything glaringly wrong in the schematic.

[![xon](https://maker.wiznet.io/forum_uploads/wiznet/original/2X/a/ae257478644216d32694eeaeb3fc6145254cdfbd.jpeg) xon2669×1555 329 KB](https://maker.wiznet.io/forum_uploads/wiznet/original/2X/a/ae257478644216d32694eeaeb3fc6145254cdfbd.jpeg)

In my serial output using esp-idf I get:

entered ESP32_W5500 bindSPI()
spiHost: 2
sclk: 12
mosi: 11
miso: 13
cs: 10
dc: -1
reset: 6
clockSpeed: 1600000
SPI host #2 init success
entered ESP32_W5500 init()
calling w5500_init_spi()
E (2375) w5500.mac: W5500 version mismatched, expected 0x04, got 0x00
E (2375) w5500.mac: emac_w5500_init(825): vefiry chip ID failed
I (2375) gpio: GPIO[5]| InputEn: 0| OutputEn: 0| OpenDrain: 0| Pullup: 1| Pulldown: 0| Intr:0
E (2385) esp_eth: esp_eth_driver_install(228): init mac failed
E (2385) w5500_eth_init: w5500_init_spi(74): SPI Ethernet driver install failed
I (2395) gpio: GPIO[10]| InputEn: 0| OutputEn: 0| OpenDrain: 0| Pullup: 1| Pulldown: 0| Intr:0
SPI Ethernet init failed
w5500_init failed

## Replies

### Reply 1 by Eugeny, 2024-08-28

How are you going to check link if you do not have jack’s LED(s) connected?

### Reply 2 by JxTheCreator, 2024-08-28

Hi. Thanks for the reply, unfortunately had to change the ethernet port last minute so missed them. But connecting to multiple switches I don’t see any activity on the switch side.

### Reply 3 by Eugeny, 2024-08-28 (in reply to reply 2)

Ok, the link LED on the W5500 side is required to see if chip is alive when you connect live ethernet cable to it. However, I suspect that if it outputs (proper) carrier remote device must show the link.
So the first thing you must ensure the proper reset (hardware + software), and then without (even trying) programming chip through SPI after power on connect cable and see if link LED goes on (try both direct and crossover as W5500 is not MDIX). If link LED does not light up - you have problems with hardware.

### Reply 4 by Alan, 2024-09-03

Overall, the circuit diagram is weird, please follow the reference circuit diagram below.

![](https://maker.wiznet.io/forum_uploads/wiznet/original/2X/7/7d46878f07a1e662d4d6c49a59132a14547a1572.png) [docs.wiznet.io](https://docs.wiznet.io/Product/iEthernet/W5500/ref-schematic)

![](https://maker.wiznet.io/forum_uploads/wiznet/original/2X/1/1c62c3ee6ae3ce074bf59833f86d4e440a16c970.png)

### [Reference Schematic | WIZnet Document System](https://docs.wiznet.io/Product/iEthernet/W5500/ref-schematic)

W5500 chip is a Hardwired Internet controller designed as a full hardwired TCP/IP stack with WIZnet technology

---

Source: https://maker.wiznet.io/forum/15268
