---
title: "Please review my PCB"
url: "https://maker.wiznet.io/forum/15258"
markdown_url: "https://maker.wiznet.io/forum/15258/md"
type: "Forum topic"
category: "Ethernet Chips"
author: "munderwoods"
created: "2024-08-06T23:07:30+09:00"
last_activity: "2024-08-19T01:31:15+09:00"
language: "en"
views: 34
replies: 7
source: "WIZnet Makers forum (https://maker.wiznet.io/forum/)"
---

# Please review my PCB

## Question

Asked by munderwoods on 2024-08-06 in Ethernet Chips.

Hey guys, I am pretty new to this whole thing, but I’d like some input if possible. Can you tell me what I am immediately doing wrong? I’m sure there is plenty. I’m trying to keep all the components on one side, but let me know if that’s stupid. I really appreciate any input at all.

[![2024-08-06-160705_427x895_scrot](https://maker.wiznet.io/forum_uploads/wiznet/original/2X/6/6553776459e66837e8a55959905970ba7ee06ff2.png) 2024-08-06-160705_427x895_scrot427×895 97.3 KB](https://maker.wiznet.io/forum_uploads/wiznet/original/2X/6/6553776459e66837e8a55959905970ba7ee06ff2.png)

[![2024-08-06-160627_1167x763_scrot](https://maker.wiznet.io/forum_uploads/wiznet/original/2X/d/d11b3ef07f62480848018a3a166eba7bae7ba08a.png) 2024-08-06-160627_1167x763_scrot1167×763 105 KB](https://maker.wiznet.io/forum_uploads/wiznet/original/2X/d/d11b3ef07f62480848018a3a166eba7bae7ba08a.png)

## Replies

### Reply 1 by Alan, 2024-08-07

PMODE allows you to set the speed you want to communicate. Currently, it’s floating

### Reply 2 by Alan, 2024-08-07

[![image](https://maker.wiznet.io/forum_uploads/wiznet/original/2X/f/f98b792488cdeb5055e2fe3f958c1690b4f3e098.png) image388×762 145 KB](https://maker.wiznet.io/forum_uploads/wiznet/original/2X/f/f98b792488cdeb5055e2fe3f958c1690b4f3e098.png)

Is the brown GND?

GND should not be placed around the Ethernet connector.

### Reply 3 by munderwoods, 2024-08-07

Thanks so much!

So can the green 3V3 is fine where it is running under the edge of the rj45 or is it safer to just run traces under there?

I actully based this circuit partially off of this common W5500 module I pulled apart which appears to have them floating. I’ll connect them to ground since it seems like 10BT half-duplex is probably fine for the esp32 I’m using.

[![image](https://maker.wiznet.io/forum_uploads/wiznet/original/2X/6/6720a418a35a9ef5a24799af0aaf9fded59c5851.jpeg) image800×600 85.6 KB](https://maker.wiznet.io/forum_uploads/wiznet/original/2X/6/6720a418a35a9ef5a24799af0aaf9fded59c5851.jpeg)

### Reply 4 by munderwoods, 2024-08-07

[![2024-08-07-085858_542x1254_scrot](https://maker.wiznet.io/forum_uploads/wiznet/original/2X/2/2fd8564f003ace7c0d7f1d128dea9c65b7d9176a.png) 2024-08-07-085858_542x1254_scrot542×1254 36.3 KB](https://maker.wiznet.io/forum_uploads/wiznet/original/2X/2/2fd8564f003ace7c0d7f1d128dea9c65b7d9176a.png)

Revised

### Reply 5 by munderwoods, 2024-08-07

[![image](https://maker.wiznet.io/forum_uploads/wiznet/original/2X/7/7916ff02abf49bb46c814f4e55cecbfeced719b7.jpeg) image1600×1236 131 KB](https://maker.wiznet.io/forum_uploads/wiznet/original/2X/7/7916ff02abf49bb46c814f4e55cecbfeced719b7.jpeg)

Am I actually supposed to do something like this for PMODE? If so, I must be missing that in the documentation. Can someone point me in the right direction?

### Reply 6 by munderwoods, 2024-08-12 (in reply to reply 1)

![2024-08-12-123039_542x378_scrot](https://maker.wiznet.io/forum_uploads/wiznet/original/2X/0/03c400e50c4dc513e6f4b0df3c94111c6be164c0.png)

[![2024-08-12-122935_568x898_scrot](https://maker.wiznet.io/forum_uploads/wiznet/original/2X/b/b525a2b72785e36e662ec6a28b0ee6ba1af4daa0.png) 2024-08-12-122935_568x898_scrot568×898 27.5 KB](https://maker.wiznet.io/forum_uploads/wiznet/original/2X/b/b525a2b72785e36e662ec6a28b0ee6ba1af4daa0.png)

OK, I read more and updated this. I’m leaving the pulldowns unpopulated which I believe will give me, “All capable, Auto-negotiation enabled”, which will be fine for the esp32. Sound right?

### Reply 7 by Alan, 2024-08-19

Yes, that’s right. Exactly

---

Source: https://maker.wiznet.io/forum/15258
