---
title: "Reading VERSIONR returns '1'"
url: "https://maker.wiznet.io/forum/15203"
markdown_url: "https://maker.wiznet.io/forum/15203/md"
type: "Forum topic"
category: "Ethernet Chips"
author: "Aurangzeb Haque"
created: "2024-04-20T03:51:24+09:00"
last_activity: "2024-04-20T16:53:46+09:00"
language: "en"
views: 75
replies: 1
source: "WIZnet Makers forum (https://maker.wiznet.io/forum/)"
---

# Reading VERSIONR returns '1'

## Question

Asked by Aurangzeb Haque on 2024-04-20 in Ethernet Chips.

Hi,
I am testing RTL8720 - Wiz5500 communication, using SPI.

Reading the VERSIONR Register always returns ‘1’ instead of 4, as mentioned in 5500 datasheet.

Has there been any change in this regard? Or I should check my connections and code.

Also please guide as to some additional tests
to verify the veracity of my hardware and software.
TIA

Azhaque

## Replies

### Reply 1 by Eugeny, 2024-04-20

Aurangzeb_Haque:

> Has there been any change in this regard? Or I should check my connections and code.

No. Yes.

Look at what is being returned on the MISO line during each byte sending. Getting 0x01 sounds like you deactivate CS after each byte being sent.

---

Source: https://maker.wiznet.io/forum/15203
