---
title: "ethernet IP"
url: "https://maker.wiznet.io/forum/15010"
markdown_url: "https://maker.wiznet.io/forum/15010/md"
type: "Forum topic"
category: "Ethernet Chips"
author: "joral"
created: "2023-08-14T23:42:05+09:00"
last_activity: "2023-09-24T15:34:08+09:00"
language: "en"
views: 228
replies: 1
source: "WIZnet Makers forum (https://maker.wiznet.io/forum/)"
---

# ethernet IP

## Question

Asked by joral on 2023-08-14 in Ethernet Chips.

I want to use a w5500 in front of an rp2040 for an ethernet ip communication.

My developer has commented - will this work?

1. We need to receive a 64K TCP message. We don’t have to buffer it, but it must be received. With the chip not supporting IP fragmentation, this could present an issue. I don’t know how a non-fragmented TCP/IP stack would handle this since I have never used one.

2. We need to know the Ethernet link speed and link duplex. This may be supported, I just haven’t looked.

3. We need to send layer 2 Ethernet frames for LLDP. This is a newer requirement. This is often called “raw Ethernet”. It is generally different from “raw sockets” that are on the IP layer.

4. We need to know how a UDP frame was received to the stack. This could be to your IP, or via a broadcast IP. This information tells the stack if there is a need to perform a random delay before sending the UDP response.

## Replies

### Reply 1 by Eugeny, 2023-09-24

![](https://avatars.discourse-cdn.com/v4/letter/j/278dde/48.png) joral:

> We don’t have to buffer it, but it must be received.

What do you mean?

I think before judging what is possible or not possible you’d better explain the requirements - what you need to achieve. If you need someone to participate in requirements design document, then you must hire consultant in computer networking.

---

Source: https://maker.wiznet.io/forum/15010
