---
title: "MagJack selection wrong?"
url: "https://maker.wiznet.io/forum/14924"
markdown_url: "https://maker.wiznet.io/forum/14924/md"
type: "Forum topic"
category: "Ethernet Chips"
author: "ibuddy"
created: "2023-05-30T15:24:27+09:00"
last_activity: "2023-06-07T13:56:44+09:00"
language: "en"
views: 227
replies: 6
source: "WIZnet Makers forum (https://maker.wiznet.io/forum/)"
---

# MagJack selection wrong?

## Question

Asked by ibuddy on 2023-05-30 in Ethernet Chips.

Hi,

I made a custom board for a RP2040 with a W5500. Both chips are working and are accessible, i.e. I can set a MAC and read it again.
Unfortunately, the W5500 does not connect to the network and the status LED stay off. I think, that I was unlucky with my MagJack selection. Could someone look on my schematics? The CTs are connected and that is why I used the “reference design” for connected CTs.
Just in case it is interesting, I was able to run with similar code the demo boards (pico + w5500 from ebay).

I am happy to provide any further information if required.

Best regards,
Marius

[![w5500](https://maker.wiznet.io/forum_uploads/wiznet/original/2X/d/d80d6b7507cdf5d75962e7224242da545daf4cd7.png) w55001004×712 11 KB](https://maker.wiznet.io/forum_uploads/wiznet/original/2X/d/d80d6b7507cdf5d75962e7224242da545daf4cd7.png)

## Replies

### Reply 1 by Eugeny, 2023-05-30

Wiring seems to be in accordance to [this](https://docs.wiznet.io/Product/iEthernet/W5500/ref-schematic#rj45-with-integrated-transformer-and-connected-ct). But IMHO would be more correct using 009 type of MagJack.

### Reply 2 by ibuddy, 2023-05-31

Thanks. I agree, that the 009 parts are more similar-looking to the used jacks on the Wiznet boards, however, I do not understand the big difference.
Unfortunately, I would like to use PoE. Do you know a working Magjack connector for the 5500 with PoE? Do you know, from the electrically/digital point of view, what makes the difference in the coil positions inside the magjack?
Tomorrow I am going to try to connect a magjack from Wiznet board.

### Reply 3 by ibuddy, 2023-06-05

I was able to verify, that the w5500 is operating when connecting the ethernet jack from a wiznet board. I will make a new board and would like to ask you, if these two jacks would work with POE:

WE 7499211125

[![WE_7499211125](https://maker.wiznet.io/forum_uploads/wiznet/original/2X/6/67d1ed6300ed31f6e6b7ec865531f3fa7818bf46.png) WE_7499211125721×635 24.4 KB](https://maker.wiznet.io/forum_uploads/wiznet/original/2X/6/67d1ed6300ed31f6e6b7ec865531f3fa7818bf46.png)

Abracon ARJP11A
![Abracon_ARJP11A](https://maker.wiznet.io/forum_uploads/wiznet/original/2X/3/3962ced7fe9af9207f8fe96908f45ce152af0ac2.png)

Thanks in advance.

### Reply 4 by Eugeny, 2023-06-05 (in reply to reply 3)

I do not see the reason why not, but anyway advise you to perform prototyping before making the product.

### Reply 5 by ibuddy, 2023-06-06

Thanks, I’ll test it. ![:wink:](https://emoji.discourse-cdn.com/twitter/wink.png?v=12)

### Reply 6 by ibuddy, 2023-06-07

Just want to let all know, that my first MagJack selection was wrong.
I can verify, that the Wuerth connector is operating, at least I can get an IP from a DHCP server.
Thanks for your help!

---

Source: https://maker.wiznet.io/forum/14924
