---
title: "W5500 and HTTPS Server"
url: "https://maker.wiznet.io/forum/14824"
markdown_url: "https://maker.wiznet.io/forum/14824/md"
type: "Forum topic"
category: "Ethernet Chips"
author: "mmichala"
created: "2023-03-06T15:04:52+09:00"
last_activity: "2023-03-08T08:41:46+09:00"
language: "en"
views: 929
replies: 1
source: "WIZnet Makers forum (https://maker.wiznet.io/forum/)"
---

# W5500 and HTTPS Server

## Question

Asked by mmichala on 2023-03-06 in Ethernet Chips.

Hello,
we use wizznet w5500 along with STM32F401RETx in one of our products.
This microcontroller doesn’t have Ethernet MAC peripheral.
We want to implement HTTPS Server on this setup.
I have done a research which took me few days, but still I’m bit confused about the way I should go to achive my goal (lwIP + mbedtls or maybe freeRTOS + mbedtls, or maybe just mbedtls with port bind to w5500)

I have this sample from Wizznet:

![](https://github.githubassets.com/favicons/favicon.svg) [GitHub](https://github.com/WIZnet-ioLibrary/W5x00-TLS)

![](https://maker.wiznet.io/forum_uploads/wiznet/original/2X/c/ce33bdf0862a866a1a2ac2bd4c40651e8b1dd74e.png)

### [GitHub - WIZnet-ioLibrary/W5x00-TLS: The TLS Example for W5X00 using ioLibrary](https://github.com/WIZnet-ioLibrary/W5x00-TLS)

The TLS Example for W5X00 using ioLibrary. Contribute to WIZnet-ioLibrary/W5x00-TLS development by creating an account on GitHub.

and this from mbedtls:

[github.com](https://github.com/Mbed-TLS/mbedtls/blob/development/programs/ssl/ssl_server.c)

#### [Mbed-TLS/mbedtls/blob/development/programs/ssl/ssl_server.c](https://github.com/Mbed-TLS/mbedtls/blob/development/programs/ssl/ssl_server.c)

```
/*
 *  SSL server demonstration program
 *
 *  Copyright The Mbed TLS Contributors
 *  SPDX-License-Identifier: Apache-2.0
 *
 *  Licensed under the Apache License, Version 2.0 (the "License"); you may
 *  not use this file except in compliance with the License.
 *  You may obtain a copy of the License at
 *
 *  http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0
 *
 *  Unless required by applicable law or agreed to in writing, software
 *  distributed under the License is distributed on an "AS IS" BASIS, WITHOUT
 *  WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY KIND, either express or implied.
 *  See the License for the specific language governing permissions and
 *  limitations under the License.
 */

#include "mbedtls/build_info.h"
```

This file has been truncated. [show original](https://github.com/Mbed-TLS/mbedtls/blob/development/programs/ssl/ssl_server.c)

but it is not well commented for me.

Can I make a TLS/SSL HTTPS server using w5500 and STM32F401RETx? What is the best way to start implementing it?

## Replies

### Reply 1 by mmichala, 2023-03-08

I’ve successfully run w5x00-tls example (from my previous post) and also the http server example ([GitHub - WIZnet-ioLibrary/W5x00-HTTPServer: The Multicast Example for W5X00 using ioLibrary](https://github.com/WIZnet-ioLibrary/W5x00-HTTPServer))
So now I have to combine them together somehow, can somebody give me an advise how to do this?

---

Source: https://maker.wiznet.io/forum/14824
