---
title: "A new example of compiling with CMake (w5500-evb-pico) without Visual studio (C lang)"
url: "https://maker.wiznet.io/forum/14723"
markdown_url: "https://maker.wiznet.io/forum/14723/md"
type: "Forum topic"
category: "Ethernet Chips"
author: "Gruber"
created: "2022-11-27T14:51:58+09:00"
last_activity: "2022-12-12T23:04:35+09:00"
language: "en"
views: 407
replies: 4
source: "WIZnet Makers forum (https://maker.wiznet.io/forum/)"
---

# A new example of compiling with CMake (w5500-evb-pico) without Visual studio (C lang)

## Question

Asked by Gruber on 2022-11-27 in Ethernet Chips.

First of all I’m not skilled using CMake or compiling and linking libraries…

But I can compile your examples perfect “the standard way” without Visual Studio:

```
Create a "build" directory in your rootdir -> cmake .. --> make
```

- This works perfect, because your developers made everything easy and perfect in advance.

But let’s say I want to build a server program and use your libraries to do socket communication with the “w5500-evb-pico” and NOT use Visual studio code.

My example serverprogram (server.c) and my libraries:
myserver.c, myserver.h, depend1.c, depend1.h, depend2.c, depend2.h

How should my “CMakeLists.txt” look like?

## Replies

### Reply 1 by Gruber, 2022-11-27

I figure it out!
But I’m stuck trying to create/convert a server…

I would save a lot of time if there was an example of a “normal socket server” (and client), using:
bind, accept, fork, listen, recv/read, send/write

### Reply 2 by austin, 2022-11-28

Hello [@Gruber](https://maker.wiznet.io/u/gruber)

To implement the TCP server, it would be nice to refer to the Loopback example.

Refer to the ‘loopback_tcps()’ function.

### Reply 3 by Gruber, 2022-12-01 (in reply to reply 2)

Thank you!
Next thing will be to figure out how to debug my creation. To be able to see anything on my server inside the W5500-evb-pico card… Any easy suggestions?

### Reply 4 by austin, 2022-12-01

Hi [@Gruber](https://maker.wiznet.io/u/gruber)

If you created the server normally,

Next, you can easily check whether the server is workiing normally by using a tool called Hercules as a client.

[![image](https://maker.wiznet.io/forum_uploads/wiznet/original/2X/3/3a9449112c10c61fd6fd410d022de83857f9cfa8.png) image625×544 13.5 KB](https://maker.wiznet.io/forum_uploads/wiznet/original/2X/3/3a9449112c10c61fd6fd410d022de83857f9cfa8.png)

---

Source: https://maker.wiznet.io/forum/14723
