---
title: "Connect the W5500 to a port in the switch"
url: "https://maker.wiznet.io/forum/14365"
markdown_url: "https://maker.wiznet.io/forum/14365/md"
type: "Forum topic"
category: "Ethernet Chips"
author: "yoobeehe"
created: "2021-10-18T15:38:04+09:00"
last_activity: "2025-01-13T04:46:39+09:00"
language: "en"
views: 2305
replies: 5
source: "WIZnet Makers forum (https://maker.wiznet.io/forum/)"
---

# Connect the W5500 to a port in the switch

## Question

Asked by yoobeehe on 2021-10-18 in Ethernet Chips.

Hello, I want to integrate the network switch function on the PCB board, and use the W5500 to transmit data with the MCU. The switch module adopts the IP175 G scheme. I would like to delete Transformer for cost savings.

[![无标题](https://maker.wiznet.io/forum_uploads/wiznet/original/2X/2/27762a307c3cae77d4a663b56cb3f71adc2ed149.png) 无标题751×551 134 KB](https://maker.wiznet.io/forum_uploads/wiznet/original/2X/2/27762a307c3cae77d4a663b56cb3f71adc2ed149.png)

As shown in the figure above, can we directly connect the four nets of RXIP4, RXIM4, TXOP4 and TXOM4 with the four pins of the TXP TXN RXP RXN of W5500? Or need any other components?
Thanks!!

## Replies

### Reply 1 by irina, 2021-10-26

[@Scott](https://maker.wiznet.io/u/scott) please answer this question.

### Reply 2 by landingship, 2022-07-18 (in reply to reply 1)

I have the same question. I could not find the answer from anywhere.
Have you figure out how to direct connect a W5500 to a IP175G? Thanks a lot.

### Reply 3 by yoobeehe, 2022-07-20

you can try this SCH.
best wish

在 2022-07-18 18:00:53，“landingship via WIZnet Developer Forum” notifications@wiznet.discoursemail.com 写道：

[W5500_IP175G参考设计.pdf](https://maker.wiznet.io/forum/legacyFile.asp?path=sA05qQLNM2WlDEnGCl22cQHeasi.pdf) (124 KB)

### Reply 4 by landingship, 2022-07-20

Thanks.

### Reply 5 by radiolych, 2025-01-13

Hola! I uncounted with the same question (using **W5500 **PHY with **IP175 **Ethernet Switch) without transformer (directly).

Firstly I found reference schematic on this forum and it didn't work, since the **connection between ICs not almost correct**. ([*W5500_IP175G参考设计.pd*](https://refcircuit.com/upload/art/other/w5500_ip175/W5500_IP175G%E5%8F%82%E8%80%83%E8%AE%BE%E8%AE%A1.pdf)*f*)

Based on following articles I make it work:
1) A Transformerless PHY to PHY Connection – Failed Attempt -
<https://hackaday.io/project/195961-integrated-hub-ethernet-usb-rs232/log/229996-a-transformerless-phy-to-phy-connection-failed-attempt>

2) How to use the Wiznet io-module without Transformer - <https://www.hackster.io/jaden2/how-to-use-the-wiznet-io-module-without-transformer-11b310>

### Here is working example of connection W5500 to the IP175 switch :

![](https://refcircuit.com/upload/art/other/w5500_ip175/w5500_ip175_connection_schematic.png)

1. You can use any port of IP175

2. No pull-ups on the IP175 side

3. No pull-downs on the RX side of W5500

4. Pull-ups 49.9 on the TX side of W500

5. Signals connected through capacitors 6.8nF

6. Small note: since PHY W5500 has always linkup=TRUE use signals from switch (LINK_LEDx) to detect connection satus of the particular port.

7. Since IP175 supports MDI-MDIX I connected RX and TX directly:

| TXN -> TXOM0 TXP - > TXOP0 |
| --- |
| RXN -> RXIM0 RXP -> RXIP0 |

---

Source: https://maker.wiznet.io/forum/14365
