---
title: "No Miso response when trying to read register"
url: "https://maker.wiznet.io/forum/14341"
markdown_url: "https://maker.wiznet.io/forum/14341/md"
type: "Forum topic"
category: "Ethernet Chips"
author: "Matt Danecca"
created: "2021-08-30T22:44:28+09:00"
last_activity: "2021-09-01T21:08:13+09:00"
language: "en"
views: 608
replies: 3
source: "WIZnet Makers forum (https://maker.wiznet.io/forum/)"
---

# No Miso response when trying to read register

## Question

Asked by Matt Danecca on 2021-08-30 in Ethernet Chips.

Hi, I am trying to read the W5500 version register to make sure I have set up the HW properly. I am sending out 0x00 0x39 0x00 0x5F and reading the MISO bytes. I receive MISO signals randomly. I send out my command every 500ms and never really see any MISO signals when probed

Here is our design to double check:

[![image](https://maker.wiznet.io/forum_uploads/wiznet/original/2X/5/5c6d5a53fbd87f37ff86bbb96495ef71041fe17b.png) image1164×690 126 KB](https://maker.wiznet.io/forum_uploads/wiznet/original/2X/5/5c6d5a53fbd87f37ff86bbb96495ef71041fe17b.png)

[![image](https://maker.wiznet.io/forum_uploads/wiznet/original/2X/2/2860ae83c4cf633d14d29da373c94e550a38aea2.png) image1145×500 74.2 KB](https://maker.wiznet.io/forum_uploads/wiznet/original/2X/2/2860ae83c4cf633d14d29da373c94e550a38aea2.png)

Will upload some screenshots of scope data in the morning if there is nothing obvious I am doing wrong

Thanks!

## Replies

### Reply 1 by Matt Danecca, 2021-08-31

Tested CLK, MOSI and CS all on the Wiznet W5500 pins and they are all getting to the chip, just no MISO signals are being sent back at all

### Reply 2 by Matt Danecca, 2021-09-01

If I wait till CS line is pulled high before powering the Wiznet chip I get very occasional MISO data. I am sending the read command and get these 4 lots of 4 bytes randomly, maybe every 10-20 seconds:
![image](https://maker.wiznet.io/forum_uploads/wiznet/original/2X/1/1891322978cd6c3ad0f249dc7c549b91d88848ae.png)

Same values everytime it does happen

### Reply 3 by Matt Danecca, 2021-09-01 (in reply to reply 2)

Update: The XI side of my crystal is not oscillating. I get 25MHz on the Xo side but not XI. That would explain why it is not working I guess

---

Source: https://maker.wiznet.io/forum/14341
