---
title: "Wait time before initialization?"
url: "https://maker.wiznet.io/forum/14309"
markdown_url: "https://maker.wiznet.io/forum/14309/md"
type: "Forum topic"
category: "Ethernet Chips"
author: "JamesSynge"
created: "2021-07-26T21:10:21+09:00"
last_activity: "2021-07-26T21:10:21+09:00"
language: "en"
views: 539
replies: 0
source: "WIZnet Makers forum (https://maker.wiznet.io/forum/)"
---

# Wait time before initialization?

## Question

Asked by JamesSynge on 2021-07-26 in Ethernet Chips.

I’m using an Arduino library (Ethernet3) that uses a file w5500.cpp with a WIZnet copyright, so asking this question here; this is regarding working with a Robotdyn Mega ETH, an Arduino Mega clone with a W5500.

The [W5500Class::init](https://github.com/adafruit/Ethernet2/blob/0bab6349fb5b42fce2d5442bbed093279184b548/src/utility/w5500.cpp#L28) method has a `delay(1000)` (i.e. one second) before it starts interacting with the hardware. Reading the datasheet for the chip, I don’t any details about settling time after power up, but the recovery after a hard or soft reset looks to be very fast (&lt;= 1 millisecond).

How fast can I expect the chip to be ready for commands? Is the `delay(1000)` necessary?

Thanks,
James

---

Source: https://maker.wiznet.io/forum/14309
