---
title: "Is PIC 8-bit processor for W6100 with DHCP and DNS?"
url: "https://maker.wiznet.io/forum/14078"
markdown_url: "https://maker.wiznet.io/forum/14078/md"
type: "Forum topic"
category: "Ethernet Chips"
author: "embedmeso"
created: "2020-12-04T21:07:38+09:00"
last_activity: "2021-02-05T15:20:19+09:00"
language: "en"
views: 511
replies: 2
source: "WIZnet Makers forum (https://maker.wiznet.io/forum/)"
---

# Is PIC 8-bit processor for W6100 with DHCP and DNS?

## Question

Asked by embedmeso on 2020-12-04 in Ethernet Chips.

Hello,

I want to use W6100 to transport serial strings over TCP/IP to and from a PIC 8-bit processor. Also, it needs DNS and DHCP.

Is that possible? I saw that there are libraries, but I don’t know if the memory (Flash and RAM) and speed requirements.

Thank you.

## Replies

### Reply 1 by irina, 2020-12-14

Sorry, we not support the project for 8bit MCU,
If you want to use the 8bit MCU, you can use the io6library and it adds in your project file.

![](https://github.githubassets.com/favicons/favicon.svg) [GitHub](https://github.com/Wiznet/io6Library)

![](https://maker.wiznet.io/forum_uploads/wiznet/original/2X/4/48a3c64b9c13c6676fbff255c5adcc965802e8a3.png)

### [GitHub - Wiznet/io6Library: io6Library is the integrated library for dual...](https://github.com/Wiznet/io6Library)

io6Library is the integrated library for dual TCP/IP statck contorller such as W6100. - GitHub - Wiznet/io6Library: io6Library is the integrated library for dual TCP/IP statck contorller such as W6...

### Reply 2 by StefiIOT, 2021-02-05

Accept that you can’t.

You need to have a lot of RAM for buffers in addition to your program. I’m not at all sure that 64kB can be enough for something. Only PIC32 becomes. It is good to have a fast SPI module with a large FIFO.

In addition, the library provided by WIZnet is not usable with PIC, i.e. you need to write your own to work with the PIC.

As for the speeds, with PIC32MZ and W6100 I achieve about 1.5MB/s transfer in the ideal case.

---

Source: https://maker.wiznet.io/forum/14078
