---
title: "Read version from w5500"
url: "https://maker.wiznet.io/forum/14026"
markdown_url: "https://maker.wiznet.io/forum/14026/md"
type: "Forum topic"
category: "Ethernet Chips"
author: "eyalc123"
created: "2020-10-04T05:59:31+09:00"
last_activity: "2020-10-12T02:19:57+09:00"
language: "en"
views: 841
replies: 1
source: "WIZnet Makers forum (https://maker.wiznet.io/forum/)"
---

# Read version from w5500

## Question

Asked by eyalc123 on 2020-10-04 in Ethernet Chips.

Hello,
we use the w5500 in our project on a VxWorks environment, and once in a while we want to check if WIZNET is alive, so I thought in order to implement that I could read the chip’s version with *wiz_getVERSIONR()*.
The datasheet says this function should return **0x04**, but I receive there sometimes 0x10, sometimes **0xFF**, sometimes **0x03** and sometimes **0xA8**.
What could be the reason that I don’t manage reading the chip’s version?

Thanks!

## Replies

### Reply 1 by irina, 2020-10-12

The version register value is 0x04, this is a fixed value.
If it is read with a different value each time, you need to check whether SPI works normally.

Various reasons
SPI clock destabilization , CSn Control problem… etc

---

Source: https://maker.wiznet.io/forum/14026
