---
title: "[W5500][ESP8266] Need help on starting SPI communication"
url: "https://maker.wiznet.io/forum/13905"
markdown_url: "https://maker.wiznet.io/forum/13905/md"
type: "Forum topic"
category: "Ethernet Chips"
author: "szucsba1998"
created: "2020-06-23T07:29:26+09:00"
last_activity: "2020-06-23T07:39:14+09:00"
language: "en"
views: 796
replies: 1
source: "WIZnet Makers forum (https://maker.wiznet.io/forum/)"
---

# [W5500][ESP8266] Need help on starting SPI communication

## Question

Asked by szucsba1998 on 2020-06-23 in Ethernet Chips.

Hello!

I am struggling to get on with making the esp8266(free-rtos) work with the W5500 module using the esp-idf. I was looking the forum for the last two days and I could not progress.
Is there any example that someone could provide me to start with?

Thanks!

## Replies

### Reply 1 by bangbh, 2020-06-23

Hi!
Sorry there is no example supported officially for ESP8266.
But I think if you can handle SPI on esp 8266, you can use W5500 very easily using iolibrary.

![](https://github.githubassets.com/favicons/favicon.svg) [GitHub](https://github.com/Wiznet/ioLibrary_Driver)

![](https://maker.wiznet.io/forum_uploads/wiznet/original/2X/1/17f66f2e9c27f9749e7af3ad7efe15d9492bea3b.png)

### [GitHub - Wiznet/ioLibrary_Driver: ioLibrary_Driver can be used for the...](https://github.com/Wiznet/ioLibrary_Driver)

ioLibrary_Driver can be used for the application design of WIZnet TCP/IP chips as W5500, W5300, W5200, W5100 W5100S. - GitHub - Wiznet/ioLibrary_Driver: ioLibrary_Driver can be used for the applica...

Only one thing you need to be careful about is that you should register critical section for freertos.
Because the task changes can break a SPI sequence of W5500.
I hope you succeed to use W5500!!

Thanks.

---

Source: https://maker.wiznet.io/forum/13905
