---
title: "W6100 PCB SPI"
url: "https://maker.wiznet.io/forum/13627"
markdown_url: "https://maker.wiznet.io/forum/13627/md"
type: "Forum topic"
category: "Ethernet Chips"
author: "Mario Runje"
created: "2020-01-04T13:04:22+09:00"
last_activity: "2020-01-05T21:02:06+09:00"
language: "en"
views: 883
replies: 6
source: "WIZnet Makers forum (https://maker.wiznet.io/forum/)"
---

# W6100 PCB SPI

## Question

Asked by Mario Runje on 2020-01-04 in Ethernet Chips.

Hi, i want to use w6100 in SPI mode. I already have w6100evb and using that as example i want to make my board, but i dont want MODE switch on board (because i want to use SPI ONLY). How should i connect DAT pins (ground or not connected) and MOD pins ?

Also i dont want to use LINK COL ACT DUX SPD leds, what should i do with those pins ?

## Replies

### Reply 1 by StefiIOT, 2020-01-05

The LEDs just get them out.

From **w6100_ds_v104e.pdf**, page 15, On SPI Mode, DAT [7:0] must be floated.

From AND **W6100-EVB_SCH_V110.pdf**, MOD[0] and MOD[3] float. MOD[1] and MOD[2] to GND with R=4.7k, but I think directly connected to the GND is OK.

### Reply 2 by Mario Runje, 2020-01-05

> The LEDs just get them out.

What should i do with pins on W6100? Mark them as Not Connected ?

> On SPI Mode, DAT [7:0] must be floated.

That means DAT7 is not connected ? Do i have to tie others to GND ?

### Reply 3 by StefiIOT, 2020-01-05 (in reply to reply 2)

Yes, **Led** and **DAT**[0…7](**ALL DAT** pins) - Not Connected.

### Reply 4 by Mario Runje, 2020-01-05

from **W6100-EVB_SCH_V110.pdf**

[![WIZNET ASK](https://maker.wiznet.io/forum_uploads/wiznet/original/2X/c/c25d3e9a81030b9c583b5a2262f80156cba3c098.png) WIZNET ASK870×359 51.5 KB](https://maker.wiznet.io/forum_uploads/wiznet/original/2X/c/c25d3e9a81030b9c583b5a2262f80156cba3c098.png)

What are there three used for ? Why i need to feed MISO;MOSI and everything else to 74CBTLV3257PW

### Reply 5 by StefiIOT, 2020-01-05

Read **w6100_ds_v104e.pd**. Pin 32 and 33 are used for SPI/Parallel Mode. In your case remove them, and connect directly to your MCU.
Basically, I would advise you to buy a directly finished module with a soldered chip - [WIZ610io](https://www.wiznet.io/product-item/wiz610io/). The frequencies are very high there, there are many small elements, and the circuit board will be very moody and laborious. At least that’s what I did. I’ll just connect it to the processor. In my case, PIC32MZ. But I haven’t gotten there yet. ![:slight_smile:](https://emoji.discourse-cdn.com/twitter/slight_smile.png?v=12)

### Reply 6 by Mario Runje, 2020-01-05 (in reply to reply 5)

Thanks for that info ![:slight_smile:](https://emoji.discourse-cdn.com/twitter/slight_smile.png?v=12)

---

Source: https://maker.wiznet.io/forum/13627
