---
title: "using Barkley API, missing recv packets?"
url: "https://maker.wiznet.io/forum/13268"
markdown_url: "https://maker.wiznet.io/forum/13268/md"
type: "Forum topic"
category: "Ethernet Chips"
author: "johanan"
created: "2019-04-07T12:16:39+09:00"
last_activity: "2020-03-01T12:01:31+09:00"
language: "en"
views: 1173
replies: 12
source: "WIZnet Makers forum (https://maker.wiznet.io/forum/)"
---

# using Barkley API, missing recv packets?

## Question

Asked by johanan on 2019-04-07 in Ethernet Chips.

I am trying to use W5100S with Barkley API, which seems to start working OK, connection is established, and data transfer begins. However after a short time my device (server) waits for a response from client, but it looks like client already sent it, but the W5100S missed it. How can I check it?
I also fine cases that I call recv(sn, buf,len), but it reads more then len bytes from the chip RX buffer (looks like it reads all pending bytes).
This is incorrect behavior, I wonder if it should be like so (it should retrive only len bytes, even if the buffer has more)
Thanks
Johanan

## Replies

### Reply 1 by irina, 2019-04-09

Hi~ johanan

Could you check the socket buf size about opened socket?
Please attach the wireshark capture file(*.pcap) and I think I can solve the problem more quickly.

thanks
BR
irina

### Reply 2 by johanan, 2019-04-10 (in reply to reply 1)

Hello Irina,

I didn’t make any initialization to socket buffer size as I assume it is the default 2K after reset.

I never send or recv buffer larger then 1K, so I think this is not the issue.

I will do wireshark capture and send you on separate mail.

Thanks and regards,

Johanan

### Reply 3 by irina, 2019-04-11

johanan:

> I will do wireshark capture and send you on separate mail.
> Thanks and regards,
> Johanan

Hi~ Johanan

Did you send me an email with the package capture file attached?
I don’t receive your email.

thanks,
BR
irina

### Reply 4 by johanan, 2019-04-12

Hi Irina,
Thanks for the followup, but I had an urgent bug in another project and didn’t make it.
Will do it on Monday.
Best regards
Johanan.

> ![](https://maker.wiznet.io/forum_uploads/wiznet/original/2X/5/5bbf5cfafeae09d1c61c71e2f9867ec438d47621.jpeg)
> [irina_kim](https://forum.wiznet.io/u/irina_kim)
>
> ```
      WIZnet Team




    April 11
```
>
> > ![](https://maker.wiznet.io/forum_uploads/wiznet/original/2X/d/d19ca25508ad4bec05e2cc1b0e24cd6ad7a23d71.png) johanan:
> > I will do wireshark capture and send you on separate mail.
> >
> > Thanks and regards,
> >
> > Johanan

> Hi~ Johanan

> Did you send me an email with the package capture file attached?
>
> I don’t receive your email.

> thanks,
>
> BR
>
> irina

> ---
>
> [Visit Topic](https://forum.wiznet.io/t/topic/5698/4) or reply to this email to respond.

> ---
>
> #### In Reply To
>
> ![](https://maker.wiznet.io/forum_uploads/wiznet/original/2X/e/e9df7b804cc2cccd789679d76cae9b7c4afb9275.png)
> [johanan](https://forum.wiznet.io/u/johanan)
>
> ```
    April 10
```
>
> Hello Irina, I didn’t make any initialization to socket buffer size as I assume it is the default 2K after reset. I never send or recv buffer larger then 1K, so I think this is not the issue. I will do wireshark capture and send you on separate mail. Thanks and regards, Johanan

> ---
>
> [Visit Topic](https://forum.wiznet.io/t/topic/5698/4) or reply to this email to respond.

> To unsubscribe from these emails, [click here](https://forum.wiznet.io/email/unsubscribe/375f206f8c96f695e69c278e57319f1899b59f98e873a248bfce18ef6fd44396).

missing recv packets?
CC:

### Reply 5 by johanan, 2019-04-14

Hello Irina,

Well I used Wireshark, found my problem.

(It was enough to suggest using it, ![:slight_smile:](https://emoji.discourse-cdn.com/twitter/slight_smile.png?v=12) )

All working now.

Thanks.

Johanan

### Reply 6 by johanan, 2019-04-14

Hi Irina,
Now I have my system is working quite well,

I would like to speed it up by using SPI DMA (using the Barkley API).

I found this document in Korean, do you have in English? (I couldn’t find).

<https://wizwiki.net/wiki/lib/exe/fetch.php?media=products:w5100s:w5100s_evb:w5100s_an_dma_v100k.pdf>

Thanks,
Johanan

### Reply 7 by irina, 2019-04-15

Hi~ Johanan

Currently, I didn’t write the document in English version yet.
I think you can’t need to see the document of English version when DMA mode use.
If you need to see the document of English version, I will send email you after write the document as soon as possible.

thanks,
irina

### Reply 8 by irina, 2019-04-16

Hi~ Johana

I uploaded the W5100S DMA document in English version.
You can download it by clicking the link below.
Download link : [W5100S DMA Datasheet(En)](https://wizwiki.net/wiki/lib/exe/fetch.php?media=products:w5100s:w5100s_an_dma_v100e.pdf)

thanks,
BR
irina

### Reply 9 by johanan, 2019-04-18

Thank you very much.
I have one question about optimal 25 MHz crystal for W6100 (we are making a pcb for it), can you advice suitable crystal part number?

Regards

Johanan

### Reply 10 by irina, 2019-04-18

Hi~ johanan

You have to use 25MHz crystal when you make the pcb using the W6100.
We have used the crystal part(82J0626-25.000MHz) and Tech.Characteristic is X-tal 25MHz,3.2x2.5 SMD, CL=27pF,Industrial,ITTI .

For detailed information, you visit the web site : [W6100 EVB Schematic](https://github.com/Wiznet/Hardware-Files-of-WIZnet/tree/master/02_iEthernet/W6100)

thanks,
BR
irina

### Reply 11 by johanan, 2019-04-21

Hi, as we are preparing to make our own PCB with your module, I am confused which module is best for us, and which one is the most updated.
Please let me know difference between W5100S, W5500, and W6100.

I need to make sure that I select right chip for me which means:

1. Stable user library.

2. Availability (in stock)

3. Price.

Please let me know what is the recommended chip for new design.

Best Regards

Johanan

### Reply 12 by Mario Runje, 2020-03-01

Hi irina_kim

Can you post link where to find those crystals? I’ve been through all webshops with crystals and couldnt find any that’s as near as those specifications

---

Source: https://maker.wiznet.io/forum/13268
