---
title: "W5500 passive PoE reference circuit"
url: "https://maker.wiznet.io/forum/13053"
markdown_url: "https://maker.wiznet.io/forum/13053/md"
type: "Forum topic"
category: "Ethernet Chips"
author: "VPug"
created: "2018-09-13T15:34:57+09:00"
last_activity: "2018-09-14T10:17:01+09:00"
language: "en"
views: 1932
replies: 2
source: "WIZnet Makers forum (https://maker.wiznet.io/forum/)"
---

# W5500 passive PoE reference circuit

## Question

Asked by VPug on 2018-09-13 in Ethernet Chips.

Hello.
I want to use W5500 with **passive** PoE on RJ45 spare pins 4,5,7,8.
Is there a recommended circuit from Wiznet for this case ?
Thank you!

## Replies

### Reply 1 by Eugeny, 2018-09-14

![](https://avatars.discourse-cdn.com/v4/letter/v/ce73a5/48.png) VPug:

> I want to use W5500 with **passive** PoE on RJ45 spare pins 4,5,7,8.

You give insufficient requirement details.

I think WIZnet did not give any explicit recommendations on PoE, but there’re a number of projects out there, for example the one related to [this question](https://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/288721/how-to-implement-poe-with-wiznet-w5500).

### Reply 2 by VPug, 2018-09-14 (in reply to reply 1)

Thanks for reply.
I think this circuit [Mag Jack and PoE - #2 by CristianM](https://forum.wiznet.io/t/topic/3657/2) is what i need.
On the Wiznet reference design <http://wizwiki.net/wiki/lib/exe/fetch.php?cache=&media=products:w5500:w5500_sch_v110_use_trans_.png>
transformer center taps on RJ45 side are connected to CGND through 75R and 4.7nF cap.
Pins 4,5 7,8, 3,6 are connected through R13–R20 to CHGND.
What is the need for such design ?

---

Source: https://maker.wiznet.io/forum/13053
