---
title: "Reported Name on network Curiosity Question"
url: "https://maker.wiznet.io/forum/12949"
markdown_url: "https://maker.wiznet.io/forum/12949/md"
type: "Forum topic"
category: "Ethernet Chips"
author: "Francois IsoPayeur"
created: "2018-06-15T00:15:37+09:00"
last_activity: "2018-06-28T03:55:53+09:00"
language: "en"
views: 739
replies: 3
source: "WIZnet Makers forum (https://maker.wiznet.io/forum/)"
---

# Reported Name on network Curiosity Question

## Question

Asked by Francois IsoPayeur on 2018-06-15 in Ethernet Chips.

I’ve built myself a basic web server using Atmega2650 and a W5100 chip
Code doest NTP requests, and get ip from DHCP

I’ve use a MAC adress from a 3com NIC card I’ve trash recently , So I’m shure My mac is unique and valid, and shall not be linked at all to wiznet

Anyway , it all works , but my Peplink router report me the DHCP lease as folow:

192.168.81.152 WIZnet042236 00:60:97:04:22:36

It is the right mac Adress , But how does my router fetch this name, and what is the 042236 meaning ?!?!?

Simple curiosity ![:slight_smile:](https://emoji.discourse-cdn.com/twitter/slight_smile.png?v=12)

Nice product BTW
Thanks alot

## Replies

### Reply 1 by irina, 2018-06-18

Francois_IsoPayeur:

> orks , but my Peplink router report m

Hi~~
First, WIZnet042236 means W5100 Mac address (00:08:DC:04:22:36 ) right?

If you use DHCP to obtain an IP address,router already knows W5100 MAC address.
thanks

### Reply 2 by Francois IsoPayeur, 2018-06-18

Thanks. yes. i’m so dumb. the number are the end of the mac adress.

But how is my router knowing this is a wiznet device? The mac adress show in the mac adress ive put myself and it is comming from a 3com nic, A mac adress vendor OUI lookup give 3com as a result. not wiznet

### Reply 3 by irina, 2018-06-28 (in reply to reply 2)

first 6 characters of Mac address indicates the manufacturer. Because our bought the Mac Address(**00:08:dc**:00:00:00 ~ **00:08:dc**:FF:FF:FF)from IEEE

I searched the Mac address through MAC address Lookup site

[![image](https://maker.wiznet.io/forum_uploads/wiznet/original/2X/7/7626419db47fd50a5b1c593cae11eb7f93b3bf74.png) image1011×518 22.4 KB](https://maker.wiznet.io/forum_uploads/wiznet/original/2X/7/7626419db47fd50a5b1c593cae11eb7f93b3bf74.png)

thanks,

---

Source: https://maker.wiznet.io/forum/12949
