---
title: "Socket status always reads the same value"
url: "https://maker.wiznet.io/forum/12756"
markdown_url: "https://maker.wiznet.io/forum/12756/md"
type: "Forum topic"
category: "Ethernet Chips"
author: "eth0wizio"
created: "2018-02-20T15:05:07+09:00"
last_activity: "2018-02-22T15:52:41+09:00"
language: "en"
views: 651
replies: 1
source: "WIZnet Makers forum (https://maker.wiznet.io/forum/)"
---

# Socket status always reads the same value

## Question

Asked by eth0wizio on 2018-02-20 in Ethernet Chips.

Hello all,

End of last year I’ve started to test the ioLibrary driver for the W5500 chip.
I have managed to get a http client for the W5500.
But I encountered a problem when opening a socket to get connected to a local http/socket server. Every time after the socket open command is given, the socket status is read.
But my SPI function for byte reading always reads 0x01. So this means that the socket is never
initialized!
For this project an atmel SAMD21 is used with the W5500.

Is there someone of you to help me solve this issue?
Any help I will aprreciate.

Max

## Replies

### Reply 1 by Eugeny, 2018-02-22

Maybe you read wrong byte in the sequence. See [this post](https://forum.wiznet.io/t/topic/3721). 0x01 is returned as a response for the first byte written to the W5500.

---

Source: https://maker.wiznet.io/forum/12756
