---
title: "W5100 usage."
url: "https://maker.wiznet.io/forum/12605"
markdown_url: "https://maker.wiznet.io/forum/12605/md"
type: "Forum topic"
category: "Ethernet Chips"
author: "muralysunam"
created: "2017-12-02T10:36:15+09:00"
last_activity: "2017-12-02T11:30:29+09:00"
language: "en"
views: 660
replies: 2
source: "WIZnet Makers forum (https://maker.wiznet.io/forum/)"
---

# W5100 usage.

## Question

Asked by muralysunam on 2017-12-02 in Ethernet Chips.

Hi all,

I am using w5100 with Arduino ethernet shield. I would like to know whether this can be used to connect to internet from a DSL(BSNL RJ10 Socket)? I would like to dial from microcontroller.

Thanks a lot.

## Replies

### Reply 1 by Eugeny, 2017-12-02

No, but you can use DSL modem to connect to DSL line, and connect W5100 to this modem, as a bonus you will get modem’s internal router with DHCP capability and local DNS services.

### Reply 2 by muralysunam, 2017-12-02 (in reply to reply 1)

Thanks for quick reply. Is there any way to interface with ADSL lines(DSL). I just want to dial and get the error code (normally modem will be configured as bridge mode). I just don’t want to buy a modem for this bridge mode operation. Any other suggestions? Thanks once again for help.

---

Source: https://maker.wiznet.io/forum/12605
