---
title: "Typical Fragment Offset Value in IP Header?"
url: "https://maker.wiznet.io/forum/12584"
markdown_url: "https://maker.wiznet.io/forum/12584/md"
type: "Forum topic"
category: "Ethernet Chips"
author: "grahamreitz"
created: "2017-11-20T17:07:34+09:00"
last_activity: "2017-11-20T21:09:31+09:00"
language: "en"
views: 1009
replies: 1
source: "WIZnet Makers forum (https://maker.wiznet.io/forum/)"
---

# Typical Fragment Offset Value in IP Header?

## Question

Asked by grahamreitz on 2017-11-20 in Ethernet Chips.

For the ‘socket n fragment offset in the ip header’, what is a typical value? (socket n register 0x002D - 0x002E)

I found this website (<https://notes.shichao.io/tcpv1/ch10/>), which explains UDP IP fragmentation quite well. Though, I’m not familiar enough with this setting to choose one that is reasonable/typical.

Kindly,
Graham

## Replies

### Reply 1 by Eugeny, 2017-11-20

![](https://avatars.discourse-cdn.com/v4/letter/g/ba8739/48.png) grahamreitz:

> what is a typical value?

Datasheet says

> Sn_FRAG (Socket n Fragment Register) [R/W] [0x002D-0x002E] [**0x4000**]

This value includes flags with bit 1 set (don’t fragment) and fragment offset of 0. See [here](https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPv4#Header).

Datasheet also says the following

> Not supports IP Fragmentation

Thus I assume you are not expected to operate this register under normal conditions.

---

Source: https://maker.wiznet.io/forum/12584
