---
title: "WIZ108SR 9-bit serial data"
url: "https://maker.wiznet.io/forum/12336"
markdown_url: "https://maker.wiznet.io/forum/12336/md"
type: "Forum topic"
category: "Serial-to-Ethernet & ConfigTool"
author: "mvoiculescu"
created: "2017-06-17T16:34:15+09:00"
last_activity: "2018-06-25T06:38:06+09:00"
language: "en"
views: 2547
replies: 27
source: "WIZnet Makers forum (https://maker.wiznet.io/forum/)"
---

# WIZ108SR 9-bit serial data

## Question

Asked by mvoiculescu on 2017-06-17 in Serial-to-Ethernet & ConfigTool.

In the WIZ108 SR description it is stated that you can set data bit length to 9. As my application needs it.
When I try to set the data bit value to 9 in configuration tool it comes with an error message : INVALIDPARAM:DB.
Do you have suggestions ? Firmware is v.4.06 . Other parameters changed will be saved with no problem. Do you
have a special FW for 9 bit serial ?

## Replies

### Reply 1 by Kei, 2017-06-19

Sorry … The datasheet is incorrect.

Unfortunately, the 108SR does not implement 9bit data bits.

In addition, due to the internal circumstances of the company, additional code support is difficult.

Do you have to use 9bit?

### Reply 2 by Kei, 2017-06-19

![](https://avatars.discourse-cdn.com/v4/letter/m/8491ac/48.png) mvoiculescu:

> In the WIZ108 SR description it is stated that you can set data bit length to 9

I have updated [the data sheet](http://www.wiznet.io/wp-content/uploads/wiznethome/S2E%20Module/WIZ107_108SR/Document/WIZ108SR_UM.pdf). I’m sorry we confused you.

### Reply 3 by mvoiculescu, 2017-06-19 (in reply to reply 1)

My application is using 9 bit data word ( one normal byte and the 9th bit determines if it is an address or data) and the
transmission speed is 230400 bps. Do you think that for 9 bit operation only the Configuration tool needs to be modified
( I’ve noticed that the config tool comes with the source code ) . Does the firmware for W7100 needs to be modified ?
Thanks, Mike

### Reply 4 by mvoiculescu, 2017-06-19

Also : is there an older FW that worked with 9 bit data word ? I am very interested in this and it would open the door for a
lot of usages for WIZ108SR . Thanks again, Mike

### Reply 5 by Kei, 2017-06-20 (in reply to reply 4)

![](https://avatars.discourse-cdn.com/v4/letter/m/8491ac/48.png) mvoiculescu:

> Do you think that for 9 bit operation only the Configuration tool needs to be modified
> ( I’ve noticed that the config tool comes with the source code ) . Does the firmware for W7100 needs to be modified ?

ConfigTool does not need to be changed.
Rather, it is necessary to change F/W.

![](https://avatars.discourse-cdn.com/v4/letter/m/8491ac/48.png) mvoiculescu:

> is there an older FW that worked with 9 bit data word ?

At your request, I looked past firmware.
Unfortunately, the old firmware did not support 9bit. “Not Support” is commented …

I have checked 9bit support in other products, but unfortunately there is no product that supports 9bit.

### Reply 6 by mvoiculescu, 2017-07-13

I looked at the W7100 programming guide and it says that the UART has a Mode 3 in which the data word is 9 bit and the
data rate can be customized at around 560 kbps ( needed by my application ). Therefore I think the FW can be modified.
Do you have the source code for the WIZ108SR firmware ? I can try to modify it to see if it works for my parameters. Thanks, Mike

### Reply 7 by Kei, 2017-07-14

![](https://avatars.discourse-cdn.com/v4/letter/m/8491ac/48.png) mvoiculescu:

> I looked at the W7100 programming guide and it says that the UART has a Mode 3 in which the data word is 9 bit and the data rate can be customized at around 560 kbps ( needed by my application ).

Did you check the UART document in the Application Note?
I checked the contents now.

![](https://avatars.discourse-cdn.com/v4/letter/m/8491ac/48.png) mvoiculescu:

> Do you have the source code for the WIZ108SR firmware ? I can try to modify it to see if it works for my parameters.

As a company principle, it is not possible to provide the firmware of the module to the customer.
Please contact us directly at support@wiznet.io with the following information:

- Your Company Name

- Products Used and Production

Thanks.
BR, kei.

### Reply 8 by mvoiculescu, 2017-07-14

There is only application note v.1.0 which has 4 pages and no mention of the UART. What is the AN that you refer to ?

And , yes I will send an email to support@wiznet.io with my details.

Tnx, Mike

### Reply 9 by Kei, 2017-07-17

![](https://avatars.discourse-cdn.com/v4/letter/m/8491ac/48.png) mvoiculescu:

> I looked at the W7100 programming guide

Is not that the [W7100A](http://www.wiznet.io/product-item/w7100a/) guide?

Anyway, I checked that your email was received.
Answers will follow after discussing internally.

### Reply 10 by mvoiculescu, 2017-08-22

Hi Kei,
Do you have any news for me ? Did you talk to your colleagues about my request ?

Thanks, Mike

### Reply 11 by Kei, 2017-08-23

I’m sorry for late reply.

We have sent an email regarding our topic, so please check and reply.

### Reply 12 by mvoiculescu, 2017-08-25

I did sent you what was requested in the email two days ago. Did you receive it ? Thanks, Mike

### Reply 13 by Kei, 2017-08-28 (in reply to reply 12)

I responded to the email you sent to support@wiznet.io.

I sent an attachment with a firmware file, did not receive the mail?

### Reply 14 by mvoiculescu, 2017-08-28

Hi Kei,

I did not receive any email with any attachment from you. Maybe you can resend it to me please.

Thanks, Mike Voiculescu

### Reply 15 by Kei, 2017-08-28

Could you send me your e-mail address in the Discource forum message, because the e-mail address might be wrong?

### Reply 16 by mvoiculescu, 2017-08-28

Yes, but I received emails from you with NDA attachments on both addresses.
My emails : mihai.voiculescu@turner.com and mvoiculescu@verizon.net

### Reply 17 by Kei, 2017-08-28

I have retransmitted to you.
Please check and let me know ![:slight_smile:](https://emoji.discourse-cdn.com/twitter/slight_smile.png?v=12)

### Reply 18 by mvoiculescu, 2017-08-29

I am sorry I did not receive anything. I don’t know what might happen.
Maybe you have to change the file extension ?
Thanks, Mike

### Reply 19 by Kei, 2017-08-29

The zip file extension appears to be a problem.
I have emailed you again so please check.

### Reply 20 by mvoiculescu, 2017-08-30

I am sorry Kei : I did not receive anything

Thank you, Mike

Forum

### Reply 21 by Kei, 2017-08-30

![](https://avatars.discourse-cdn.com/v4/letter/m/8491ac/48.png) mvoiculescu:

> I did not receive anything

I just sent a test email without an attachment. Please check.

### Reply 22 by Kei, 2017-08-30

The drop box used by the company does not exist, so I changed the extension name and sent it again.

You can use it by changing the extension .7 to .7z and unzipping it with 7zip.

### Reply 23 by Kei, 2017-08-31

I have shared a drop box with your mail.
Please reply when download is completed ![:slight_smile:](https://emoji.discourse-cdn.com/twitter/slight_smile.png?v=12)

### Reply 24 by mvoiculescu, 2017-09-03

Thanks a lot : the download is complete . I think I replied already on your other email.

### Reply 25 by mvoiculescu, 2017-11-23

Case solved. Excellent support from Wiznet. Special thanks to Kei who was more than supportive.
Big kudos to all Wiznet engineers, they are awesome professionals.

Mike Voiculescu

### Reply 26 by Inter, 2018-06-21

Hi there,

we are also very interested in using a Firmware which supports 9 Bit! We really need this for a Project…
Is it possible that we also can get the Firmware “mvoiculescu” got?

Best wishes,
Mario

### Reply 27 by Inter, 2018-06-25

Hi Kei,
do you think you can help us?

Best wishes, Mario

---

Source: https://maker.wiznet.io/forum/12336
