---
title: "Boot mode/putty"
url: "https://maker.wiznet.io/forum/12156"
markdown_url: "https://maker.wiznet.io/forum/12156/md"
type: "Forum topic"
category: "Wireless"
author: "soellicha"
created: "2017-02-19T07:37:26+09:00"
last_activity: "2017-05-04T08:39:52+09:00"
language: "en"
views: 1182
replies: 5
source: "WIZnet Makers forum (https://maker.wiznet.io/forum/)"
---

# Boot mode/putty

## Question

Asked by soellicha on 2017-02-19 in Wireless.

Hello,
I follow the instructions of the youtube video to enter boot mode but with NO success. As the module is powered on I plug the connector to jumper 3 , press the reset button but only the LED 4 lights up and not LED 3 as well. Any ideas?

Also when I open putty I open a session with the 115200, 8, 1, N settings then at the screen I suppose to write it does not accept any letters! I type and nothing shows on screen!
Any ideas on that?

> which terminal server software they use in the youtube video?

Also I opened the firmware update tool and cannot find the wizfi250. Do I need to install additional drivers?

Thank you

## Replies

### Reply 1 by cliff, 2017-02-20

Hello,

Well…I think, you should re-check that.

[![](https://maker.wiznet.io/forum_uploads/wiznet/original/1X/66b7edb2f7c0be85224e8a7fcfe89240395077ca.png) 900×696 527 KB](https://maker.wiznet.io/forum_uploads/wiznet/original/1X/66b7edb2f7c0be85224e8a7fcfe89240395077ca.png)

There’s a problem with the red box, right?
If it so, please check status from following.

- Mode LED Indicate Data/Command Mode
  ![:diamonds:](https://emoji.discourse-cdn.com/twitter/diamonds.png?v=12) LOW(ON) : Data Mode
  ![:diamonds:](https://emoji.discourse-cdn.com/twitter/diamonds.png?v=12) HIGH(OFF) : Command Mode

- Wi-Fi LED Indicate Wi-Fi Association
  ![:diamonds:](https://emoji.discourse-cdn.com/twitter/diamonds.png?v=12) LOW(ON) : Wi-Fi is associated
  ![:diamonds:](https://emoji.discourse-cdn.com/twitter/diamonds.png?v=12) HIGH(OFF) : Wi-Fi is not associated

About terminal program, I suppose, it was acts on data mode.
If you want to know about it detailed, please check following.
[url][http://wizwiki.net/wiki/doku.php?id=products:wizfi250:wizfi250pg:start#command_mode_data_mode\[/url\]](http://wizwiki.net/wiki/doku.php?id=products:wizfi250:wizfi250pg:start#command_mode_data_mode%5B/url%5D)
Also, terminal program is used in youtube video is “Helcules”.

And following is wizfi250’s firmwate update tool and files.
[url][http://wizwiki.net/wiki/doku.php?id=products:wizfi250:wizfi250firmware:start\[/url\]](http://wizwiki.net/wiki/doku.php?id=products:wizfi250:wizfi250firmware:start%5B/url%5D)
Please check again about that.

Thanks, regards.

### Reply 2 by soellicha, 2017-02-22

Hello,

Thanks for the reply

1. I put the jumper for boot mode, and only the wifi LED is ON , is this correct?

2. In device manager I get “unknown device” - FT232R USB UART and no association with a COM port, so I cannot communicate through putty.
   ARE there any drivers for the wizfi?
   3.I have managed to send data to wizfi from MCU

> when I send “AT” I get a response “++AT”
> when I send “AT\r” I get a response “error invalid input”
> when I send anything else I do not get a response, even if I send “AT+UART=?” ANY IDEAS?
> latest update
> when I send AT commands and listen for a response I get null value -like nothing.
> So if I send to wizfi “AT\r” and get an invalid response, THEN what is a valid command?

Thank you

### Reply 3 by cliff, 2017-02-23

Hello,

1. If you set the boot mode, it will.
   But, if you don’t that, you can see result like on the video.

2. I will attach driver file on your e-mail. Please check it after install that.

3. Well…You should check if it is boot mode.
   AT command not operate on boot mode.

Thanks, regards.

### Reply 4 by soellicha, 2017-02-23

Hello Cliff

Thanks for the reply

1. What video do you mean? I set the boot mode but maybe the driver is the problem. *edit installed the driver and managed to upgrade wizfi module!

2. I downloaded the driver but has extension of *.zzz HOW do I use that? ( edit* FIXED is OK now I changed the extension to ZIP - extracted it and worked THANKS!!! )

3. When I send the AT commands only the wifi LED is on the MODE is off, is this correct?
   Also I try to send AT commands from the MCU with both LEDs off MODE & WIFI and I get no response!!!
   On which FORMAT should I send the AT commands?
   So far I send as string ( “AT” )
   should I send ( "A,T\r) ?
   should I send as ascii number? ( 65 , 84 ) ? 65 for A and 84 for T ? What about the comma?

Thank you!

### Reply 5 by cliff, 2017-02-26

Hello,

1. I mean the youtube video for instruction.

2. It’s a good thing that.

3. First, I already explaned about operation of LED.
   AT command operates in “command mode”.
   It doesn’t matter “AT” or “AT\n”. Both of them was handled by WizFi250.
   I do not know which MCU to use, but it might be a good idea to analyze the WizFi250 source in the Arduino Library.
   If you need it, you can get to follwing.
   [github.com/Wiznet/WizFi250_arduino_library](https://github.com/Wiznet/WizFi250_arduino_library)

Thanks, regards.

---

Source: https://maker.wiznet.io/forum/12156
