---
title: "W5100 Does not Show Up on Network"
url: "https://maker.wiznet.io/forum/11957"
markdown_url: "https://maker.wiznet.io/forum/11957/md"
type: "Forum topic"
category: "Ethernet Chips"
author: "joshmueller"
created: "2016-10-06T18:07:20+09:00"
last_activity: "2017-05-04T08:39:09+09:00"
language: "en"
views: 607
replies: 1
source: "WIZnet Makers forum (https://maker.wiznet.io/forum/)"
---

# W5100 Does not Show Up on Network

## Question

Asked by joshmueller on 2016-10-06 in Ethernet Chips.

I am new to this Ethernet stuff, so bare with me. My board uses a W5100, but nothing shows up when I connect it to my computer using Ethernet. I have spent A LOT of time troubleshooting this issue, and I would like to confirm one thing. Using the factory default register settings, I should be able to just connect the W5100 to my computer, and it will start pinging back and forth and be identified as a network device . . . assuming I have the circuit set up correctly. I used a combination of the recommendations from Wiznet and the Arduino Ethernet shield schematic to make mine.

## Replies

### Reply 1 by Eugeny, 2016-10-09

Not clear what you actually did. To make chip responding to outer world it should have its own address and network properties properly set - its IP address, address mask, gateway, reachable from your outer world - logically and physically, and some register bits set to allow pinging. At least what comes to my mind.

---

Source: https://maker.wiznet.io/forum/11957
